rocksliders
21-12-2011, 09:08 PM,
rocksliders
I had aluminium side steps fitted with clunky holding brackets :? that got damaged at Fraser Island
wanted more clearance and strength to protect the sills
bolted to sub frame they have angle made out of 10mm flat under the sill & 6mm flat riser,and a 32*6 mm pipe extending for side protection with angled pipe gussets
I cut up my side steps and bolted them to the pipe when I am towning and only with only four bolts each side and they are quickly off for 4wdriving
got an extra 30mm clearance with this mod
now very happy Big Grin

[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=0]19112011272.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   26102011257.jpg (Size: 1.53 MB / Downloads: 426)
.jpg   26102011256.jpg (Size: 1.37 MB / Downloads: 488)
.jpg   19112011272.jpg (Size: 600.02 KB / Downloads: 468)
22-12-2011, 09:07 PM,
Re: rocksliders
Hi welcome to the Forum,

Yep Rock sliders are always good, been wanting to make some for my Troopy to replace the stupid side steps.
Mate Voodoo has most of the gear now in his workshop so will try and spend some time over the next year at fabricating something to suit.
Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM,
Hi Lezz,

As Pete said Welcome to the forum, my 62 has a set of side steps which also have a large diameter ally pipe around the edge, they have proven very handy up at Landcruiser Park on a couple of occassions.

I will be keeping them on as they have shown no faults yet and don`t seem to get hung up which is about the worst thing that could happen to the steps.

Happy Trails.

David.
02-01-2013, 07:48 PM,
Yep seems I also need rock sliders at the rear as I some how have put a nasty ding in my rear passenger side quarter panel !!
Real shame as that is the side I had repaired from an incident om Morton with a bus!!

Any ideas would be appreciated, thinking of taking a bar from the side of my towbar frame then bending around towards the front before looping back towards the chassis in a nice thick pipe..

Also looking at adding a bit of checker plate to cover where the bumper once covered, but continually gets wrecked when I hook them on things!!
17-07-2013, 10:28 PM,
My rock sliders proved tough enough for the Old Telegraph track last year and kept me from a lot of side ways damage to panels
would like some for rear quarter panels but havent decided on a design
will build a rear bar first and see what options that will give me as i wrecked mine at Cape York
I still wear it with pride
27-10-2013, 11:53 PM,
[attachment=0]
Well the banging in the rear end turned out to the the new 2nd hand locker diff
One of the pins holding the planetary gears was working its way out and was banging on the pinion gear see photo
lucky I had the old limited slip diff i could replace it with while it goes off to get fixed
not much damage done but will require disassembly to do it
not my job, lucky i got a mechanic for a son
pity he is in Bundaberg though
will have to go easy on 4wd as the gear ratios are different between the front and rear diffs now, so only in sand and when I need to
other wise just 2wd and no lockers
glad I didnt chance it any more cause I could have broken the diff and locker whew

Attached Files
.jpg   photo.JPG (Size: 655.16 KB / Downloads: 384)
28-10-2013, 12:53 PM,
Lucky you found that and did not drive on it too much!

Shame it happened as the trip this weekend was fun and had many good creek crossings and rutted sections that would have given you driving skills a try.
only had a couple of mishaps unfortunately most with my vehicle, but the main issue showed me I DO need replacement shocks!
The other issue was a puncture that has convinced me that the original troopy tires are the best ones for my car :oops: