Fraser Cleanup 2012 - Record your interest here.
15-01-2012, 06:55 PM,
Fraser Cleanup 2012 - Record your interest here.
2012 is here and trips need to be organised!
On that note, one trip that is already in the Planner is Fraser Clean-up.

For those who have not attended the weekend is both a chance to help the environment and get some cheep camping on one of the most beautiful and activity packed Islands within our grasp!

When - June Long weekend 8 - 11th - June - that is from Lunch time on Friday the 8th until late on Monday the 11th.

What do you get:
1 - Discount on the Barge fee (currently Normally $100 Per Car)
2 - Free Island access - saving of around $40
3 - Free Camping - currently $5.30 per person per night
4 - Free BBQ and Live band on the clean-up night

What are we required to do for all this?
1 - Camp in the designated area for our club
2 - Either pick up rubbish or pull out weeds in the clubs designated area - usually only a 1/2 day activity.
The organisation supplies rubbish bags and industrial bins for the rubbish - but we need to supply gloves and drinks.
Caps are usually supplied with the sponsors logo, but this may not be enough to keep your head free of sun burn.

Restrictions:
1 - During the weekend we are requested to stay away from some of the high use areas - but this is only for peak times of the day.
2 - People attending have to be a paid member of the club they are attending with.
3 - Numbers are restricted so early birds get the goods :lol:

*** Please let us know if you intend to participate and I will record you in my trip log - Below
*** Also for our own records possible numbers of people in your car.

Interested Parties:
1 - (2) Peter & David (son) Richens : Troopiepete
2 - (1) John Osbaldiston : Johnny Navara
3 - (2) Victor Cox
4 - (2) Grant & Dimity : G&D
5 - (2) Jane & Jason : Hdj78rv
6 - (2) Tom & Trish : tomtrish
7 - (2) Nigel & Vicky
8 - (2) Danny & Katie

?? - (1) David : Laidley 62 Series ????

Total People = 15 to date.
*** UPDATED: 4/6/2012 ***

Attached is a Map/Photo of our 2007, 2011 & 2012 Camp site.
[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   Fraser Cleanup 2012 Camp site.jpg (Size: 539.82 KB / Downloads: 2,376)
15-01-2012, 07:58 PM,
Re: Fraser Cleanup 2012 - Record your interest here.
at this stage count me in on this its been way to long since i have been on fraser Isl when do we have to have final confirmation in by??
16-01-2012, 07:02 PM,
Adrian,

I have added you to my list of interested parties,

As for when do we need to have the numbers, usually about a month before the event, the club needs to get the appropriate number of passes, hopefully this year we will be able to have heaps Smile
17-01-2012, 02:34 PM,
Hi Pete.

Count me in, just one of me at this stage.

David.
18-01-2012, 06:56 PM,
Hey Pete,

Sold! Jane & I are very interested.

Jason
18-01-2012, 08:26 PM,
Wendy and I are keen. Is that weekend a 4 dayer? Friday and Monday both p holidays ?
19-01-2012, 05:47 AM,
Weatherman Wrote:Wendy and I are keen. Is that weekend a 4 dayer? Friday and Monday both p holidays ?

I think Friday may not be a public Holiday but the Monday is.
Some People arrive on the Saturday, but getting the extra day in makes it seem more worthwhile, I will be taking the day off unless it's already an RDO for me.

Once we arrive at our designated camp site the club banner will be erected so if you are a late arriver just look out for it, or give me a call.

Permit packs are provided prior to the weekend these will contain information on camping and the cleanup activity our club is doing.
22-01-2012, 08:45 AM,
Hi Pete and all.

I have not been to Farser yet but with the permit system for the beaches now does each vehicle have to have a permit from DERM or are we covered by the group doing the clean up.

I will most likely get a yearly permit anyway but just a novice question I thought I would ask.

Regards,

David.
22-01-2012, 12:17 PM,
Laidley 62 Series Wrote:Hi Pete and all.

I have not been to Farser yet but with the permit system for the beaches now does each vehicle have to have a permit from DERM or are we covered by the group doing the clean up.

I will most likely get a yearly permit anyway but just a novice question I thought I would ask.

Regards,

David.

David a year permit is around $200 so you really need to be using it often to make it worth while, also you need to get a separate permit for each beach you wish to drive on!!!! the Association has been trying to get a system going where one permit covers the lot but don't think it's going to happen soon.

The clean-up permit covers Fraser Island only but that is the entire island for the period mentioned above, if you wish to drive up the north Noosa Teewah, beach then a separate permit is required for this area but a day permit is cheap and better purchased on line.

The Barge to Fraser is about $100 per car (no trailer) at the moment but should be discounted, may still cost $80 or so depending on how generous they decide to be, it was originally a 50% discount but don't count on it. Also there is no need to book prior to arriving as the worst you will have to do is wait in a queue, you can purchase tickets at the first fuel station in Rainbow Beach but not sure if they will give you the discount for the clean-up.

One thing to remember is Air down before entering the beach for the Barge - nothing worse than being stuck behind some idiot that forgot to air down - and the beach is really soft heading out to the barges and even softer on Fraser - remember to take a Tyre gauge and Air Compressor as it's a long way back to Rainbow Beach on 15 - 20 psi and the queues lining up on the return trip are something else :lol:

Another thing to remember is Fuel - it's available in about 3 or 4 different locations on the island but is up to 50% more expensive than on the mainland, if coming up the Bruce Highway via Gympie you are best to top up fuel just past the turn off as it's usually cheaper than Brisbane and way less expensive than at Rainbow Beach - basically as you drive east the fuel heads up in price.
23-02-2012, 09:55 AM,
I am very interested in helping with the clean up Fraser trip. Is there still availability?
Jules Big Grin
23-02-2012, 07:26 PM,
julia faulkner Wrote:I am very interested in helping with the clean up Fraser trip. Is there still availability?
Jules Big Grin

Hi Jules, welcome to the Forum.

At this stage we don't know what the restriction will be for our club but one thing that is required by 4WD QLD for there insurances is that you must be a financial member of our club to attend with us, for this to happen we would like to meet with you before hand and would also like for you to go out on a trip with us, not that Fraser is difficult but we would like to get to know who you are and what your capabilities are.

Apart from these little matters I see no problem with you attending.
23-02-2012, 07:28 PM,
I'll (tentatively) put my name down for this as well Pete.
Just depends on the cash flow prior to the Corner Country & Boulia Camel races trips. :?

Mick
25-02-2012, 12:57 PM,
Put me down as interested too ... just need to work out my roster to Chinchilla (fingers crossed I don't have to do a swap around / out).

Cheers,
Angel (): )
23-03-2012, 08:27 PM,
Hello Fraser Comers
Hello Peoples

I have got some info about the fraser trip

Firstly we usually get a discount on the barge from noon on the friday

However this year high tide at Hook Point (southern trip of fraser) is a 11am which makes the run north up the beach a challenge

Because we cannot round it at high the barge discount window maybe extended to earlier in the day
I do not know for sure about this but will pass on the right info once I get hold of it

With this in mind it maybe wise to either travel early AM or wait to PM for the drive up the beach
But this decision can be made closer to the trip

Another thing the cleanup usually does just that but in years gone by we have also done weed removal
But this year the rangers have requested other things
One thing that I picked up on was to reopen and upgrade several inland tracks
fallen trees sawn up and wash outs filled in
So how about that just let me know

Also I have been talking with Darren Mc of the QA (the care man) and have requested the same camp ground as last year (Gabala)
It is within walking distance of the sunday night doo
This do and campgroung are just north of Cornwalls Break Rd

He also says that the vehicle limit numbers may be relaxed so everyone who wants to come can

On saturday we can make a decision where we go for a drive and do our 'work' AM Sunday

Johnny
25-03-2012, 10:17 PM,
Re: Hello Fraser Comers
Hi Jonny

Interesting that will be!

Not sure on the others but I am VERY interested in the track repairs - maybe we will need to take a chain saw!
27-03-2012, 06:20 PM,
I also like the idea of opening some of the old tracks,have a chain saw.
27-03-2012, 06:38 PM,
quick heads up guys just got this off the nissan patrol forum a few guys just went over to fraser is

petrol was $205.99 per lt

diesel was $210.99 per lt

i would be taking jerry cans guys hope this helps
27-03-2012, 09:07 PM,
Yep fuel is often - usually very expensive on the island!

Depending on how you travel there are options..
Fuel in Rainbow Beach is also expensive but usually cheaper then on Fraser, the cheapest fuel and often better than Brisbane is usually the Petrol station just past the Fraser turn off in Gimpy - I guess it makes you travel in a little further!

I am thinking of doing the trip up North Noosa, Double Island point then round to Rainbow Beach, it's a nice run and cuts time off the trip if the tide is right.
29-03-2012, 11:21 AM,
tracks and have a chainsaw as well.
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM,
My Fraser Plans
Hello Fellow Comers

A this stage and time my travelling plans are

Leave home late afternoon (5-6 PM)
Run north up to Gympie and have a feed at the Caltex servo at the Rainbow turnoff
and at Rainbow top up with fuel and anything else

Drive up to Inskip and have a snooze possibility under the stars on the sand

Have an early feed (coffee and toast with sand between your toes is sometime special) and catch the first barge across and head for our camp

Our camp (I have requested Cabala just to the north of cornwall's break road) and within walking distance of the sunday night function

Also Eurong resort has meals for people who just walk in

Our plan was to eat there on saturday night breafast sunday morno before doing our work and breakfast on the monday on the way home

My plans to stay at Inskip are governed by the tides
High tide at Hook point (southern tip of fraser) is 11am so that means a really early leave but the barge may not be working at that time

Also at clubnight some people said that they were going up Thursday

Also it was mentioned that a trip up to Sandy cape was a possiblilty on the saturday but a really early leave from camp was needed to take advantage of the low tides

For some of us the cape trip was not important

So if we do get to the camp and the tides are against us maybe the thursdayers may have already taken off

So my suggestion is a slight rest and an inland drive to central station the western beach (Ungowa) and up to Kingfisher with a stop over to paddle our feet in Eli Creek

But I am open to further suggestions

In regards to the sleep over at Inskip that makes it possible for all of us who are coming up friday night to all meet up and cross together
So it really does not matter if you meet us anytime as long as it is before dawn

Victor has already told me he will be joining us at the sleepover

But I do not have a problem meeting people along the way up

Also you may receive an e-mail about this trip asking for details
The reason behind this is that this event has insurance cover in case of accidents
The 4X4 Asnn only needs your name and suburb a contact number and person and vehicle rego number as the club has the rest of it

Also numbers are needed so that a discount can be negociated with the barge operator

I will in turn sent you more info as I get hold of it

Johnny
14-04-2012, 08:47 AM,
Hi all!

Just got an update on the barge prices

Quote:Barge fees have been verified for the NEXT 3 YEARS: Fees are normally $150 car and trailer which breaks down to $100 for car $50 trailer , but for the Cleanup is $70 a car and $25 for a trailer so combine $95. This is a fantastic saving of $55.
14-04-2012, 03:58 PM,
Guess that's what you get when there is no competition... prices heading north once again!
Oh well at least they are prepared to give us a discount still... not as good as last year but we had a competing company then :-)
16-05-2012, 10:59 AM,
Yeah,
we are still going. Tom and Trish, that is.
07-06-2012, 08:33 AM,
Yipee!!!
All packed and ready to go!
David just arrived so we are just about to leave - hope this bad weather stays away but I have packed for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  13th Annual Fraser Island Clean Up - Registrations Now Open daggy 4 13,816 09-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Last Post: troopiepete
  The 2012 7th Annual Mt Perry Dump Truck Pull hekarewe 0 6,115 14-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Last Post: hekarewe
  Expressions of interest for Sundown National Park Hdj78rv 5 15,713 13-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Hdj78rv
  Fraser cleanup eating out johnnyn 0 6,525 24-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Last Post: johnnyn
  Fraser Cleanup Fri 10th, Sat 11th to Mon 13th June 2011 troopiepete 4 14,165 16-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Last Post: troopiepete