CAPE TRIP
18-03-2012, 06:38 PM,
CAPE TRIP
HI AL,
What is the info on the cape trip for next year. Ping and I am very interested ,(well I am very interested )....
Is there a tentative date for this trip yet?
19-03-2012, 08:19 AM,
Re: CAPE TRIP
BarcooBlades Wrote:HI AL,
What is the info on the cape trip for next year. Ping and I am very interested ,(well I am very interested )....
Is there a tentative date for this trip yet?

G'day Allan
I don't have any info to help you with your question, but I think the trip is only in it's prelim planning stage. Adrian (hekarewe) may have a bit more info re roughly the month the trip may be on.

however...keep reading future newsletters for any additional info. It was advertised this early to help generate interest and give members plenty of notice to start organising/repairing/building their cars.

Mick
19-03-2012, 06:10 PM,
at this stage i would say we would be heading off early to mid june and sooner then that could have issues if the wet season runs late and it will give time for the grader to go through the major roads ahead of us i would estimate between 5 to 6 weeks for the trip i do have an itinarry from the trip Off the black 4wd club did in 2010 which i will use as a base for us to work on. i think when i get back from down south,,, i will ask for those interested to meet up with me on a saturday so we can get the planning moving and set dates etc we will need to find out what everyone wants to see and visit up there and what activities they want enroute as well i feel there some must do activities on the way ie gun shot creek nth bound and much more so lets get some intest showing on here first then we will have a meeting dedicated to the planning.
20-03-2012, 07:33 PM,
ok . thanks. Nathan sad he would be interested also...... But I can't see us being able to get 5-6 weeks off. 4 weeks would be the most I think we would be able to get off at one time.
21-03-2012, 10:20 AM,
Hi

Yep I too will only be able to do a max of 4 weeks and from what I have been told this should be plenty.

My original idea was to head up to the tip quickly without too many distractions, obviously there will be some places we decide to stop at and a bit of play on the way but basically get up - I am told give this a week..
Then take a slow trip back visiting the coastal strips and places of interest on the way, I have been talking to people from work that have done the trip and will get a better idea soon.
21-03-2012, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM by troopiepete.)
Right have found the 2011 itinerary for OTB 4wd club

this will give us an idea of what we can do and give us something to work of.

so have a look at it and make notes for when we get together on my return from down south.

.doc   cape york int.doc (Size: 36.5 KB / Downloads: 425)
22-03-2012, 08:41 PM,
Wendy and I might be able to do this trip next year as well. So put us down as possibles.
22-03-2012, 10:41 PM,
I am yet to start a head count for that trip but once I do the names from this thread will be added.

Dates and times would be handy but for our selves (Narelle & Peter) we can only do a max of 4 weeks... but I have been told this is more than enough.
Although like all areas I am sure you could easily spend 6 months and still not see it all :cry:
23-03-2012, 05:11 PM,
yes, it would be good to get an idea how many ae interested to go ,and get a planning meeting together. after you lucky buggers get back from this years trips. I am talking it up with some friends also that might be interested to go. Big Grin
24-03-2012, 12:40 AM,
Debbie and I would be interested to go like averyone else 4 weeks is all I could do
24-03-2012, 08:42 AM,
loving the interest showing in this already will be doing some q & a with the OTB memebers that did the trip to see whats needed
27-03-2012, 06:23 PM,
Wendy and I can also only do 4weeks.
27-03-2012, 06:41 PM,
looks like it will be a 4 week trip then will need to do a flying run north to cairns and make that the meeting piont. couple of thoughts to save time could be transport vehicles north then fly up and pick them up in cairns that could save you a couple of days. anyways we can work it out later.
11-04-2012, 06:11 PM,
Have 2 more cars coming on the Cape trip next year......

This has created a lot of interest so far ,the trip to the cape. My sister and her partner said they will join the club and come on the trip, and his brother and wife will join them.

So we have increased membership as a result of a trip alone..... good work.

Can't wait for the trip, can't wait to get into the planning.....

Started booking in the D-MAX for some extras already....
25-04-2012, 07:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM by troopiepete.)
Ok i have been planning the Cape trip for next year and have worked on the pretence of getting to the top as quick as possible whilst still getting in some fun at the same time. so far i have us in Seisia ex brisbane in 8 days i am going to link what i have so far working on 4 weeks (28 days)
i know your all working on the corner trip in June this year however learning from experience of the Off the black 4wd club trip to the top,,, i want to be well advanced with planning and bookings by this time next year.

So there will be the first meeting for this trip at my place on the 27th May 2012 for all those interested if you want input in the trip planning be here or if you cant make it email me with ideas or message me here.

my email is: thebeastmaster63@bigpond.com

Those attending message me for my address or call me on 0411966822 there will be a BBQ so RSVP in advance I will supply meet if everyone less supplies salads etc. for it be here about 1100am and meeting will be on after lunch.

looking forward to hearing from you all soon
16-05-2012, 10:32 AM,
Hey there,
I love the Cape Trip. I'd go every year if I could, my loving wife may not stay so loving though. I have spoken to Trish and she said OK. Reading between the lines I think that means she can't wait, so count us in as highly possibles. We've been twice, once towing a 2.5 tonne camper and once with the roof top tent. We'd be only doing a max of 4 weeks but we are willing to meet up if need to. One piece of advice given to us before our first trip is to be careful of heading straight to the tip then slowly making your way back. For some, the ordeal of getting there is enough and can make you want to just head home. We are easy will go with the crowd, but I might suggest to maybe see a couple of the important things on the way up and the rest on the way back, that way it should suit more people in case time becomes an issue for some. To give you an idea, when we dicided to head for home the first time we left Seisia 8am and arrived Brisbane 50hrs later. Tom.
22-05-2012, 04:45 PM,
give this one bump guys n gals need numbers for the BBq meeting for this sunday for the first of the cape york trip meetings so we can start the ball rolling on the planning.

agenda for the meeting will be dates to travell and destinations-points interest to be visited and logistics places/accomidation etc.
22-05-2012, 05:32 PM,
Yep I think Sunday should be fine for me, Presidents meeting Saturday so Sunday should be fine..
Sort of depends on the Wife as we have just learned out Niece who is only 5 years old has a Terminal Brain Tumour, currently in hospital so I may have to hang around here for morel support! it's going to be a tough time for us and especially her parents.
It's currently hard to believe this happy go lucky very intelligent young Girl may only have several months to live!
22-05-2012, 09:16 PM,
TroopiePete Wrote:Yep I think Sunday should be fine for me, Presidents meeting Saturday so Sunday should be fine..
Sort of depends on the Wife as we have just learned out Niece who is only 5 years old has a Terminal Brain Tumour, currently in hospital so I may have to hang around here for morel support! it's going to be a tough time for us and especially her parents.
It's currently hard to believe this happy go lucky very intelligent young Girl may only have several months to live!

not a problem peter hopefuly we will see you here
23-05-2012, 12:52 PM,
Guys I may have to dip out of the meeting or possibly just drop in for a short while as I also have to arrange a ride around to all the checkpoints for the Endurance ride the following weekend - If I go to the meeting I need to leave by 1pm so will see how I go.
27-05-2012, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 09:58 PM by troopiepete.)
ok folks the meeting of well with people that turned up so here is the new improved itinerary.

.docx   2013 Cape York Tour.docx (Size: 22.53 KB / Downloads: 467)
26-09-2012, 09:53 PM,
just picked up on something TROOPIE PETE said, about maybe 2 groups for the cape trip. What is the count for cars going? And is the 2 groups suggestion about the time of year or too many cars?

I didn't think we had a firm number yet. and how many is too many?

long time yet before next june.
27-09-2012, 09:26 AM,
A few people have been worried about the numbers of cars going...
I simply said that if this becomes an issue and then there is no reason why we can't have two groups either at the same time but different runs or at a different time.. it seems that this may be the fact anyway due to the 60's to the cape trip..
It's a big country so who knows what will happen..

At this point I intend on making plans to go but still working on things like actual available leave from work :?
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM,
HI Pete and all at Rivercity.

Some of you may be aware that I started the 60 Series Trip to the Cape 2013 thread on 4 W D Action, it was my intention to get as many of the same model together [ 60 series ] so that any mechanical problems could be overcome easily, well it has grown like Topsie and the forum started by Stockhorse [ wayne ] who a few of you have met, has over 100 members who own a 60 series. Our group has members in every state and territory except the A.C.T.

Well so far our plans are to meet in Cairns around the end of July 2013 and head off for the cape in the first couple of days of August, it is unknown how many 60s will be on this trip but it was never my intention to restrict the numbers, I anticipate around 20 / 30 travelling up at the same time, I intended setting only the date to leave Cairns and the date to meet up for the photo at the Tip, that way people could travel to the tip via their own planned route and see what interests them.

I suspect that there will be groups who will for various reasons wish to travel together, ie families with children, double locked, camper trailers and so on, this is the reason I did not intend setting an itinery.

The reason we chose the 1st. / 2nd. August was because it appeared there were no school hols anywhere in Oz at this time so there should be less 4 bs up there, being in the middle to late dry season those of us us with pettys [ me ] should be able to have as enjoyable a trip as the diesels. It looks like being a dryer season than usual with the El Nino comming.

I hope this info helps you plan the trip for this club, if you are going in June we will not be in your way.

My plans for the trip are to go to Maytown, spend a couple of days at Weipa and about 4 days at the tip, camping at Loyalty and Punsan.I hope to get over to Possession Island while up there and love to to do the tour over to Thursday Island.

My travel plans are to take a week getting to Cairns and home from Cairns, give or take and 4 weeks on the cape.

Happy Trails.

Regards,

David.
07-10-2012, 11:36 AM,
Maytown is an historic site, we spent a few hrs just in the old town site heaps of history still there, and a lot of old mine sites, there is a chinese graveyard nearby and the site of the original pub a few k,s away, we did the old coach rd coming home, turned of at laura and stayed at jowlbinna camp for the night,they ask $45 per person to see aboriginal paintings under the rock shelfs we passed on that but if you are into that it would be worthwhile, the old coach rd from jowlbinna to maytown by the map is 45 ks we thought it would be a breeze in 2 1/2 hrs,,,,,,,,, 7 hrs later,,, it is a very demanding track over the ridges, many rock climbs, was the hardest section of the whole trip but totally worth it,, setup camp at the river after maytown, If I went again I would like to do the creb track it was closed due to weather then head south again to maytown then jowlbinna and proceed north on the trip get the hard stuff over early in the peice,, there isnt a sign on the pdr for the frenchmans track, just 2ks north of batavia stn rd on right is a sign saying no camping in state forest,, thats the track entrance,,we met a few looking for the track ,,,, chilli beach is a very beautifull spot well worth staying a few days,,enjoy,,,,
07-10-2012, 09:06 PM,
Thanks Grant,

I am searching some of the out of the way places to go to on my trip to the cape, sounds like you did the route which Roothy featured on the dvd about Maytown, thanks for the heads up about the state of the track taking 7 hours I will work that into my plans, I am finding that a lot of people going to the cape simply concentrate on getting to the Tip and missing the journey on the way.

As stated I am allowing about 4 weeks for the journey north of Cairns, your tip about doing the C.R.E.B. and then travelling south for the Maytown to Laura is an idea I had considered, we will be going in the middle of the dry so the C.R.E.B. should be open.

Happy Trails.

David.
07-10-2012, 09:11 PM,
That time includes some sightseeing before we got to maytown, if you can contact some locals up north on the toyota forum they may have a few tracks, I have looked at the itinerary of the tagalong tours they mention some places that are off the main tracks, we were so cheezed that the creb was to wet, I had the same thoughts of useing lesser roads its hard to find maps with much detail other than the main tracks, possibly the rangers could shed some light on different ways,,,,,cheers david
01-01-2013, 09:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 10:01 PM by troopiepete.)
ok ti is just over 6 months to go for the big run north to the land of snapping hand bags etc

now have ahd a sudjestion made to me about the trip plan and the Creb track, because thereis no real way of knowing until we get there on its condition or state i have made the following changes to the trip plan.

instead of a rest day in Cairns we will use this day to do a quick 1.5 hr run out to the daintree village whioch is close to the start of the creb track and camp there the night so we can have an early start on the creb so we have the best chance of doing it on time and being at the lions den earl in the afternoon

will be contacting the tourism office at daintree and asking for camping info in the village

attached is the updated plan

.docx   2013 Cape York Tour.docx (Size: 23.04 KB / Downloads: 377)
02-01-2013, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM by troopiepete.)

Come on up guys,,,, I promise I wont bite Big Grin
02-01-2013, 07:39 AM,
G&D Wrote:[attachment=0]
Come on up guys,,,, I promise I wont bite Big Grin

i see a belt nice pair of boots and a hand bag
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM,
Up there the handbags go shopping for u Big Grin
02-01-2013, 11:34 AM,
Hi Adrian and all.

I don`t remember if I mentioned it before but I was aiming to make the trip from Cairns to the Tip take about the same time as the return south, it seems a lot who go to the Cape rush straight to the Tip for the photo and miss what the cape really has to offer.

I am looking at doing, the C R E B if open, Maytown, Portland Road / Bathurst Bay, as well as a look around the gold fields in the area. I also want to spend a couple of days at Weipa and surrounds, if you are planning on doing some fishing then Weipa may be a good option, you can get a dvd from the charter guys there.

I am also planning on spending a few days at the Tip so I can have a look at the plane wrecks and the old Sommerset village. I am planning on spending time at both Seisia and Loyalty Beach while up there, if tiome and money permits I hope to do the day trip over to Thursday Island and the cream on the cake would be a trip to Possession Island off Weipa.

Good Luck with the planning Adrian I believe it is the single most important part of the trip.

Happy Trails.

David.
02-01-2013, 05:43 PM,
Maybe we should put some time aside for this at the meeting next Wednesday. As the meeting will only be about trips for 2013. There Is no monthy meeting and no agenda other than trips.
02-01-2013, 07:51 PM,
ok not sure if i can make the meeting yet because of bloody work agian but if i am not there the only thing that cant be changed is the dates that we are in wiepa as my sister and brother are flying in there to join me for the ret of the trip. i will be in contact with either Darryl or peter before the meeting just in case to discusse possible changes
02-01-2013, 11:14 PM,
Hi guys I will be going to the cape at this stage Maybe alone I too would like to see some of the history of the area it depends on work and money .if this new job comes through I would be able to spend more time up that way either way can't wait to see the place
06-01-2013, 09:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 10:09 PM by troopiepete.)
have just been speeking to Philip at the Daintree riverview lodge and camping on 0438460342 tariffs are very reasonable and have been added to the planning sheet a link to the updated sheet is on here as is a link to the daintree riverview site, it is an old web site but they have not updated it for a while. from this link there are lists of activities that can be done there to fill in the day i highly recomend a run in the argo's show them to danielle and she is very excited to go in one agian,,,,,,, wonder if they will let me drive???

http://www.daintree.info/riverlodge

this is also the site to the lions den hotel which is the next stop after daintree just follow the links for camping tariffs.

http://www.lionsdenhotel.com.au/index.php

i will need to confirm numbers as i have been asked to start emailing these sites to reserv booking for us so we need to now put some numbers together of people and vehicles

so far of the top of my head we have

Hekarewe
Daggy
Barrcool

so can those who i have forgotten or are deciding to come along please confirm and pm me with contact details thanks 6 months to go!!!!!

Attached Files
.docx   2013 Cape York Tour.docx (Size: 23.04 KB / Downloads: 467)
06-01-2013, 08:45 PM,
Hi

I picked up a map for the area yesterday and made a few copies of the areas we are traveling so I can draw on them Smile
Was thinking that possibly we should meet and sort out some details, like the actual rout you wish to take.

At this stage I am still a definite maybe but it very much depends on work, if I do go my Father will be my passenger.
07-01-2013, 04:34 AM,
TroopiePete Wrote:Hi

I picked up a map for the area yesterday and made a few copies of the areas we are traveling so I can draw on them Smile
Was thinking that possibly we should meet and sort out some details, like the actual rout you wish to take.

At this stage I am still a definite maybe but it very much depends on work, if I do go my Father will be my passenger.

i agree that would be a good idea i have idea on which way i want to go and which tracks i would like to attempt but further north but the first section from cairns not sure about but deffinatly want to do the creb track

we will need to set a date for the next trip planning meeting to finalise some of the details
08-02-2013, 10:18 AM,
My definite, has turned into a maybe with a 80/20 chance of it coming off. That's a 20% chance of me coming. It's easier to explain this one is person. I'm still going to make the Cape, just most likely not this year.
11-02-2013, 08:09 PM,
sorry to hea that darryl....
still that 20 % might win in the end....
We are counting the days, can't wait....

allan
24-03-2013, 01:33 PM,
GGGGGGGOOOOOOODDDDDDD Afternoon people so just spent some time on the net looking at bookings and doing bookings for cape york as i this done i will post up the trip itttinerary on here. in the mean time who else wants to go????? if you are considering coming along on an adventure of life time nows the time to let me know either here or via email. at this stage i am booking more sites then we need just in case as it is easier to cancel what we dont need then try and book extra sites closer to the trip dates. Sooooo come on people fill the sites and come along.

i am having trouble with the NP web site at the moment so may need to do those by phone if i cant the links to work soon.
27-05-2013, 10:24 PM,
AAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY 18 DAYS TO GO BEFORE THE CAPE TRIP..........

Still haven't finished the car for the trip......

Finished moving house, (which nearly drove me mad....and took a lot of time)

Just got some work done at TORQ 4X4 , Nathan isn't going now, so a late mad race to get the D-MAX in some kind of condition to make it up & back from the CAPE..

UNDERBODY GUARDS & EXTRA FUEL FILTER FITTED, ROOF RACK, RECOVERY POINTS.......

Now trying to get tie down points fitted in rear.....

Will have to get updated photo's ....

DID I SAY HOW MUCH WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO OUR CAPE TRIP......

Boy don't know where we will put everything in the little D-MAX, a lot smaller than the 80 series...
29-05-2013, 09:36 PM,
week and a bit of work then holidays one final visit to torq 4x4 to check and double check and triple check then cape york or bust woo hoo roll on the good times LOL
29-05-2013, 11:45 PM,
Hope you all have a good trip. Big Grin

Will definitely be looking forward to hearing/reading ALL the trip reports.
15-06-2013, 10:14 PM,
finally made cairns today at 1430 shocking road works between marybougher and mackay will be meeting everyone else tomorrow afternoon at daintree village and then the adventure begins
16-06-2013, 01:00 AM,
Good to hear from you Adrian Smile

Keep safe - looking forward to updates when possible [and plenty of pics Big Grin ]
16-06-2013, 09:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 10:16 PM by troopiepete.)
in daintree to night travelled cairns to daintree on the capt cook hway

17-06-2013, 12:23 AM,
Looking good mate,

Have you managed to meet up with all the crowd yet?
Look forward to many more photo's and plenty of news on the days events - make us work bound people jelious as hell :evil:
18-06-2013, 09:07 PM,
TroopiePete Wrote:Looking good mate,

Have you managed to meet up with all the crowd yet?
Look forward to many more photo's and plenty of news on the days events - make us work bound people jelious as hell :evil:

have met up with mick and family but alan is stuck in townsville with bad back he is hoping to meet us in wiepa
18-06-2013, 09:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 10:18 PM by troopiepete.)
last night at lions den now at elim beach

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019 Moreton Island Trip 2-4 days 1 Sat - 2 Sun March 2019 sirlezz 15 6,333 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Last Post: daggy
  2018 05 Mad Hay Simpson trip as it happend troopiepete 2 2,711 22-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Last Post: troopiepete
  Mad Hay Simpson trip 2018 troopiepete 0 1,926 08-05-2018, 10:50 PM
  Cape York, As I remember it, ver 4 daggy 7 34,127 28-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Last Post: White Bush Pig
  2017 June 4th Sunday Toonumbar Forest Dead End Street Day Trip sirlezz 15 29,719 11-06-2017, 10:37 AM
  20161106 Hoffman Falls day trip White Bush Pig 5 11,424 04-11-2016, 05:55 AM
  20160917 Basket Swamp trip 17th September White Bush Pig 9 22,416 19-09-2016, 10:49 PM
  20160626 Hoffman Falls day trip - Sunday 26th June White Bush Pig 13 27,225 22-07-2016, 08:56 PM
  2015 Nov 21-22 XMAS Trip options sirlezz 28 53,834 23-11-2015, 01:23 PM
  Boonah / Duck Creek road day trip White Bush Pig 9 21,177 08-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: sirlezz