At the Top
21-09-2012, 08:52 AM,
At the Top
Hello Peoplles

I was chatting to a guy that I know

He told me that he and his lady had just come back from the cape

One thing he did say that they had to wait for almost two hours to get the place to themselves to take a photo of the tip because of the crowd there

He said the roads were unbeleivable corrigations to rattle your teeth

The roads a completely littered with broken off car pits

He came across a guy who had stakked a tyre with a broken off shocky from someone

Johnny
21-09-2012, 10:06 PM,
Re: At the Top
How unlucky could you be!!
I think Adrian has the trip for ext year planned for early in the season,
Maybe if we are lucky these types of things can be avoided.
22-09-2012, 08:34 AM,
With the timing we will be at the tip during school holidays, so it could be assumed to be busy.

I personally couldn't think of a better place to sit for a couple of hours waiting for a photo or whatever. Think of it like this, I have planned this trip over 30 years and false started about 4 times, I've just spent nearly 3 weeks on the road just to get to the tip, I wouldn't plan on just getting there, having a photo and turning around with the possibility of never coming back. This is one trip where it's just as must about the journey as the destination.

Also I've spent about the same time stuck on a train (broken down) going to the city or even better stuck in morning gridlock going to the same place. I know where I'd rather be.
23-09-2012, 08:42 PM,
All good comments..
Now the question has to be asked...
If you intend on going up what time of the year would you suggest and how long would you like to take?
Some have suggested that if the trip becomes too big then we may split into two separate groups... and possibly the same for dates.
23-09-2012, 08:57 PM,
Whatever time I go would need to coincide with a school holiday, whilst I would prefer three weeks away from home, with driving from Bris to Cairns taking an average of three days, I think four weeks is the option. That leaves 3 weeks on the cape, it is a big place and no doubt you would only see a touch in that time, but you don't know when or if you will get back there. I have had a look at Adrian's itenary and it looks good.

Which school holiday, I think June/July, earlier in the year, possibility of better roads, I repeat possibiiity.
13-11-2012, 11:49 AM,
HI All,

You most probably are aware that I am heading up to the cape in early August next year with a group which started out as just 60 series.

We planned to go in early August as this was NOT school hols anywhere in Oz so that the area would not be congested, considering that we may be a large goup ourselves, I started planning this trip over 12 months ago, I like plenty of time to plan, so with a 2 yr lead in I should have all the info I need before I head up for the first time.

It is intention for my group to meet in Cairns on a designated day and then travel up to the Tip in any number of self decided groups, camper, families, double locked and so on to meet at the tip on a designated day for the meet up and photo.

There seems to be plenty to see, so I am taking a week to get to and from Cairns with a further 4 weeks on the Cape.

I belive the way to do it is to Plan Plan Plan and then take your time.

The tracks will be rough in the dry but the creeks / rivers will be flooded in the wet season, that is either early or late.

Anyway that is the way I have set out my trip for next August.

Happy Trails.

David.
14-11-2012, 02:59 AM,
Well done with the planning!

I wish it were possible for me to take even 4 weeks off but the best I will be able to do is maybe 3 and that is only if I can work my rosters in to fit a 7 day break between shifts!
At this stage I am still a definite maybe on our trip, sadly this will not change until a few months before the trip is due to depart!
14-11-2012, 08:26 AM,
HI Pete et al,

There is some talk on our trip forum of one or two of our guys from down south or in the west flying up to Cairns and hitching a ride with one of the other 4bs going on the trip.

This is to fit in with the schedule and tight time frames, flying from say W.A. takes a lot less time / effort than driving all the way over to Cairns.

Don`t know if this would work for any on here, but if there is the will the way will be found.

Happy Trails.

David.
14-11-2012, 11:37 PM,
At this stage I'm only going to the cape Debbie believes she won't be going but like Pete my work is all up in the air that's why I haven't been to any meetings or trips wich is pissing me off