New Member from Ipswich
15-07-2011, 06:16 PM,
New Member from Ipswich
Hi guys,

Where do I start?

34 from Ipswich, student at USQ Uni studying IT (worked in IT for since leaving school - just want the piece of paper to prove I can do it) Smile
Wife also lives here, shes a student nurse.

We have 4 kids,

Lachlan 7
Noah 5
Ryan 3
Madison 2

We own two 80's a white 94 1fz-fe and a silver 1fz-fe.

The silver one is 'mine'

[Image: 80after.jpg]

White ones hers (pic coming)

Thats about it for us Smile
Cheers
matt
15-07-2011, 08:38 PM,
Re: New Member from Ipswich
Hi

Look forward to meeting you in the morning.
Wow you two have been busy and now both schooling, sounds like me when I was around your age, it was the beginning of the IT Boom and I decided to change from Air Conditioning into IT in particular Novel Networking, in 1995 I studied for the Novel CNE with a company called ComTech here in Brisbane while we still lived in Lismore NSW, travelled up each time to sit the exams and passed them all in October 1995, moved up shortly after.
I worked in this are as a contractor until around 2003 when I was unable to pick up any more contracts due to a severe downturn in the industry after 2000.

During the time I was looking for work I also studied for the Microsoft MCSE, but gave up due to costs with only 3 exams to go before passing it.
This made me a MCP in most things including SQL and Exchange but as I was not working in the industry it was not logical to keep poring the $300+ dollars our for each exam.

My original qualifications was as an Electrician so this is what I ended up going back into, been working for Australia Post now for 6 years as a Technician.

We also have 4 kids except our youngest Scott is almost 19, he will now be on the trip travelling with Victor.
Our 21 yr old Daughter "Cassie" is also studying to be a Nurse and is working at Royal Brisbane as an enrolled Nurse while completing the study at a near by UNI.

Again welcome to the forum and see you Tomorrow.
22-07-2011, 08:00 PM,
After seeing all the excellent awnings last weekend I decided to buy one myself.

Should have it next week, and installed next weekend. Just got to work out the placement, or additional roof racks so I can position it correctly.

Its only the Ironman 2.0x2.5 awning but I got it at a price I couldn't refuse Smile

Pics will come when its on.

Now I'm working on a rear storage system.
22-07-2011, 08:59 PM,
mlowe76 Wrote:After seeing all the excellent awnings last weekend I decided to buy one myself.

Should have it next week, and installed next weekend. Just got to work out the placement, or additional roof racks so I can position it correctly.

Its only the Ironman 2.0x2.5 awning but I got it at a price I couldn't refuse Smile

Pics will come when its on.

Now I'm working on a rear storage system.

Good to see you gained something from the trip,
Yes as I said at the time our last trip out west would have been hell without the awnings, as for the draw system it can be a pain when you are not using them as they take up space but while travelling they are worth all the time and money you put into it.

So what are your plans for the construction of the draws?
Also if you are making them do you have any plans on what to use for the runners and catches?
22-07-2011, 09:23 PM,
At this stage I'm not sure what to make it out off.

I'm only going to remove one of the rear seats and leave the other in, so I can still have 6 seats for everyone.

The basic plan is to have enough space for the fridge and some camping gear that needs to stay dry, the rest will move to the roof.

Fridge will be on a slide. My old Midwheel base 70 series has a rear draw I made myself, the catches were bolt in elastic loops, that had a 'button' shape they pulled over, I think they are commonly used as tie downs for tornea covers such as:

[Image: tc_bungi2.jpg]

Tyre will come down to a tyre carrier when I find another - my other 80 just got a new rear carrier.

I'm going to use something like this stuff, where u can cut and join it together to make the frame Just gota find where its available.

[Image: Aluminium%20profile%20system%202.jpg]
22-07-2011, 10:16 PM,
Voodoo made up a set using some box section form bunings, you can get corners and all sorts of parts for it.
But basically it's cheap and easy enough to just make it out of ply wood, my first set used a roller section using box iron and ball bearings, worked out quite expensive, this latest set I used draw rollers - worked out around $100 for two draws I think.

But if you are not to worried about it sliding like on ice you can just used some hard slippery material like your old style cupboard draws once used.

Yep when we still had 4 kids under the age of see ya Dad I am off with the gang or GF... I had to cater for 4 people in the rear so I too made a draw system that kept one chair in place, was snug but provided you could keep the gear from landing in there lap it worked well. Possibly look at creating a totally enclosed area for the fridge, draws and camping gear from floor to roof, including a cargo barrier for the front.

Will love to see the finished product.
22-07-2011, 10:20 PM,
I think I know the stuff you mean its qubelok or some such name, made a capral

Apparently its cheap as chips - I might grab some of that, its a fair bit cheaper than the stuff I looked at, and lighter too - being tube and all.
23-07-2011, 10:31 AM,
Mate if you are up to a drive you could call into Voodoos at Marooka and have a look at it.
Stewart (Voodoo) had the actual draws made by a joiner next door but you can get an idea of the construction method.

Personally I would just use ply wood and aluminium angle on the corners for strength - but that is just me Wink

Voodoo have been running an open shop every Friday night (5pm to ...) for some time now and would love for more people to make use of it.
The night has been called "Rum Friday" (often rum needs to be BYO) regardless he has a vehicle hoist, pressure cleaners and a Mig welder, the idea is for 4WD people such as us to get together, make use of the gear and basically have a good time helping each other.
His shop is in Dexter street just off the magic mile, if you are interested but would like an introduction let me know.
23-07-2011, 11:47 AM,
Hi Pete,

Actually thinking about it, simple is probably better.

Ally angle and some ply wood probably would be easier and cheaper really and stronger.

I might just knock something up with that, and carpet it, and it should look alright.

I got to re-run the wire to the fridge point in the back of my car, the previously owner cut a lot of wiring out when he sold it Sad
24-07-2011, 06:59 PM,
Well looks like xmas is coming early.

Ordered a cheapo winch today - as I'll be keeping the crappy alloy bullbar I'm having a steel cradle fabbed up free of charge - thanks for a talented welder/fabricator brother.

Also got a set of sliders in the works, three sets actually , As I own two 80's two sets are for me Smile

Thats it about for now, unless I can think of any other useful addon's.. Lockers are coming just not sure when yet
26-07-2011, 12:09 AM,
mlowe76 Wrote:Well looks like xmas is coming early.

Ordered a cheapo winch today - as I'll be keeping the crappy alloy bullbar I'm having a steel cradle fabbed up free of charge - thanks for a talented welder/fabricator brother.

Also got a set of sliders in the works, three sets actually , As I own two 80's two sets are for me Smile

Thats it about for now, unless I can think of any other useful addon's.. Lockers are coming just not sure when yet

Sliders now that is something I need and want to make up, any chance of helping me with this?
I have some ideas but just have not got around to making it up, but I also don't have much of the gear I would need.

It has been suggested that I should look at securing them to the body rather than the chassis, provided it's done correctly I think this could work quite well but would need plenty of attachment points.
26-07-2011, 11:19 AM,
I'll be having mine attached to the chassis with plates/brackets that bolt around he chassis (side to side)

My last car had the same set up, but bolted through the chassis - illegal, but the whole car wasnt all that legal anywaySmile This car will be.

I'll ask him can he look at making you a set up

He'd need to see your troopy to measure it up etc.

He's a bit tied up now doing the three sets of sliders, and winch cradle, and bullbar mods. hehe.
26-07-2011, 07:38 PM,
LOL

It seems your mate is under high demand!

No Problems on waiting a while, it's less than a month now till we head away for a 3 week holiday so maybe sometime after this.
11-08-2011, 07:24 PM,
Well seeing as theres no general chit chat area, I'll just post this here.

Seeing as its a nice night in Ipswich,and I had a roast to cook

I thought I best do it in the camp oven, the only way to cook actuallySmile

Heres what we knocked up tonight.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_5180.JPG (Size: 130.86 KB / Downloads: 1,174)
.jpg   IMG_5181.JPG (Size: 101.66 KB / Downloads: 1,173)
11-08-2011, 07:58 PM,
Looks nice - I trust the family mad a hole in that one real quick Smile
11-08-2011, 08:08 PM,
Sure did lasted about 5mins, It barely got a chance to touch the plate Smile

For some reason roasts just taste so good in a camp oven.

I did have one casualty though, the lawns a little black where I spilled some fuel - ooopsSmile

Cheers
matt
24-10-2016, 10:30 AM,
RE: New Member from Ipswich
I'm back after a couple of years away.

Still driving a 80 colours changed tho.  
Was silver  then black, now white.
31-10-2016, 04:07 PM,
Welcome back,

I too have just returned from a shorter break only a week and a half off.

If you are interested we are having a day trip this Sunday (6th) out to Hoffman falls if you are free.

Have a look at the trips page for more details.

Cheers
02-11-2016, 04:44 PM,
(31-10-2016, 04:07 PM)Weatherman Wrote: Welcome back,

I too have just returned from a shorter break only a week and a half off.

If you are interested we are having a day trip this Sunday (6th) out to Hoffman falls if you are free.

Have a look at the trips page for more details.

Cheers

Hi there

We are coming sunday for sure.

Haven't been out in ages

Looking forward to the day

Seeyas at the BP aratula 9am sunday Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New New Member JackaRoo 1 5,076 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Last Post: troopiepete
  new member signing in. sabre1989 6 12,859 31-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Andy_009
  hi from new member SPARKY 4 10,961 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Time bandit
  Hello All..... Old member trying the new forum BarcooBlades 3 8,498 22-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Last Post: BarcooBlades
  Moo told ya pete NEW MEMBER MOLEMAN Moleman 6 12,595 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Laidley 62 Series
  New Forum member onall4 4 9,147 19-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Last Post: onall4