LED LIGHT BARS IN QUEENSLAND
06-08-2013, 09:26 PM,
LED LIGHT BARS IN QUEENSLAND
Here is a post that I have copied over from the Nissan Patrol forum.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...elinemay13.pdf">http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...elinemay13.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Quote Originally Posted by QLD MAIN ROADS

Vehicle standards instruction (general 15.0)
Fitment and use of driving lamps including light emitting diode (LED) light bars on vehicles Released May 2013

The Department of Transport and Main Roads has recently dealt with a number of issues relating to the use of LED light bars, fitted to the front bumper bar or bull bar on some vehicles, as driving lamps. The main issue faced by vehicle operators is that when a light bar is used as a driving lamp on a vehicle manufactured from 1991, Australian Design Rule (ADR) 13/00 requires that either two or four lamps are fitted.

Transport and Main Roads is of the opinion that this ADR requirement was set before the introduction of LED type lamps and the requirement does not reflect this new technology.

To ensure national consistency, Transport and Main Roads raised this issue with the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board, who have endorsed a change to the ADR to allow an odd number of driving lamps to be fitted to vehicles. Until this update to the ADR is made, Transport and Main Roads has provided this Vehicle Standards Instruction for ADR vehicles and vehicles manufactured prior to 1991.

Requirements for the fitting fitment and use of driving lamps including Light Emitting Diode (LED) Light Bars on Vehicles, excluding motor bikes and motor trikes.

• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle.

• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre.

• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection.

• The lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off.

Note: This exemption from complying with a part of ADR13/00 only applies in Queensland and may not be recognised in other states or territories. Vehicle operators who travel between states and territories must ensure that lamps fitted to their vehicles comply with the requirements in each state or territory.

This Vehicle Standards Instruction (VSI) was originally issued as H25.0, but is now being re-issued as a General category VSI. VSI H25.0 is now repealed.

Further Information

For further information about the vehicle standards, please contact Vehicle Standards and Modification Advice on (07) 3114 5844 Monday to Friday, 10:00 am–4:30 pm.
Related Documents Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...OpRUVSSR10.pdf">http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...OpRUVSSR10.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Australian Design Rule 13/00 Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L- Group Vehicles

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005L03991">http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005L03991</a><!-- m -->
06-08-2013, 09:29 PM,
Re: LED LIGHT BARS IN QUEENSLAND
The above post on Nissan Patrol seems to have raised more questions than answers. Below is my attempt to help people who don't read legislation try and understand just a little better. That said, I'm not the expert.

To try and explain how to read legislation, you would need to read associated case law alongside it. How it was written and how it was meant to be interpreted will be subject to legal challenge. New legislation is always open to interpretation (by both the prosecution and defence). District and Supreme Court case law (decisions) are binding in all courts, decisions and interpretations by Magistrates (local) are not binding in any court, that includes other Magistrates courts. If you were to fight it all the way through the court system, ie all the way through to a higher court then it would become a binding decision. That said, if the powers that be don't like the way that the umpire ruled then there would be an amendment to that legislation and the process starts again.

To answer the question, can they be mounted above the roof line? You need to read between the lines and interpret it your way but be prepared to justify your position.

This is the way I understand the below points.

• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle. ( Front ie bulbar, not no the roof which is roughly centre of the vehicle)

• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre. (Front as above and in the middle)

• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection. (Open to interpretation as to driver discomfort, but any light mounted on the roof would have some degree of reflection)

By the way when I fit my LED light it will be on the roof.
06-08-2013, 10:15 PM,
I love how laws are not set in stone and to interpenetrated by Lawyers and the courts!
You get the feeling that this is a deliberate effort to make them still useful and valid no matter what the law is about.

One of the comments while on Fraser island was that my LED light bar looked like it was about half a meter high due to the reflection from the solar panel it is mounted behind, funny thing is if I turn the LED bar on and parked under a carpark light at my work I actually get a charge into the solar panel - don't think it comes close to recovering the power used by the light but amusing never less :lol:

I know the issue with forward facing lights not switching off with the high beam was an early problem with new cars having "white fog lamps", they will switch on regardless of the main lights and will not switch off or on with the high beam! earlier on people were actually finned for switching them on, but then this also goes for Blue lights - how many of these do you now see driving around today?

The way I see it my LED light bar is for off road use or when additional light is needed for country driving, my other LED light bars that are mounted on the bull bar and the HID driving lights are for main road driving - these I believe meet the current and previous interpretation of the laws.

The problem is that in Australian Law you "are" Guilty until proven innocent - and you have to pay to prove your innocence so if a nice Police man decides that you have in his interpretation an illegal installation on your car - even if he is wrong! you have to pay to prove your innocence and get the fine revoked and clear your name! This may save you the fine and it may clear your name but it can be very expensive!

And the part that you are Guilty until proven innocent.. I know that it is said you are Innocent until proven Guilty, but how can this be so when you need to spend your own money to prove your innocence and that a fine handed out by the Police or other Government officials has to be paid or you will end up in court!
07-08-2013, 10:29 AM,
Peter, from experience a lot of infringements are attitude based. In the event you are correct and successfully challenge in court, costs will be awarded in your favour, if you seek them.
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM,
Yep I see your point,

I guess it's a situation of try and keep your cool - on both sides..
And be Curtis without being a smart ass. Wink