2014 July 11th to the 10th August Cape York - Planning stage COMPLETED
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-07-2015, 01:40 PM by sirlezz.)
2014 July 11th to the 10th August Cape York - Planning stage COMPLETED
Hi

I have started a new thread for this trip to allow us to start fresh and start to put some actual planning in place 8-)

The Main part of the Trip starts from Daintree on the 14th July - where we go from there will very much depend on track closures or more to the point what is actually open!

Darryl and I will be departing Brisbane early Friday morning the 11th possibly camping north of Mackay, the next day will see us camping north of Townsville, arriving in Cairns Sunday possibly around or just after Lunch time. This will obviously depend on just how well we travel and the roads or rather road works we come across.

The remainder of the trip from this point will unfold as it happens, yes we have a plan but it's extremely flexible and has a few days to spare already in the plan so what we actually see and do will depend on many factors and somewhat up to you.

Who is Attending..
1 - Peter & Merv - Troopiepete
2 - Darryl - Daggy
3 - Paul, Alison and Connor 4yrs old

Danny is possibly Joining us at Cairns;
Total of 3 or 4 cars at this stage if all end up attending :o

Updated 07/07/14 By Peter - Troopiepete

To save you time I have relocated the Trip Planner to this first post,
It will be updated as we get closer and even then it is only a Guide as roads and other things will change our plans during the trip so please do not rely on us being as listed..

This will be updated as we get updates on road reports and advice from travelers, I need help around Maytown.. or rather how to head South from there but regardless we may and will change the dates as the trip progresses so it is not set in stone.
You will notice several spare days, these are to allow us to stop and smell the roses if we like an area or dare I say have issues that cause us to be delayed..

.pdf   Cape York 2014v5.pdf (Size: 30.66 KB / Downloads: 345)

.xlsx   Cape York 2014v5.xlsx (Size: 23.84 KB / Downloads: 379)
03-12-2013, 09:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014, 12:37 AM by troopiepete.)
Re: 2014 July 14th to the 10th August Cape York - Planning s
I like the idea and I am entertaining it seriously
I will confirm yes or no by March 31
I think I will know what is happening at my workplace by then (if I still got a job)

Like the idea of blitzing it up to Cairns fast, and then planning the day trips/ destinations from there
Leaving Friday night and gathering at Gympie is a good plan for a convoy north in two days

My touring interests up north include:
• Creb Track
• Lakefield National Park, Eddies Place with the coloured sands, and Cape Melville and surrounds
• Frenchmans Track across to the
• Old Telegraph track and surrounds
• Mayfield tour
• everything north of the Jardine including Ussher point and surrounds and Thursday Island this time round

Would like to come home via Karumba/Normanton down to the Isa, across to the Stockman's hall of fame and then some of the dinosaur tour on the way home

I have a free Cape York guide if you want a quick interesting read and want to get excited

.pdf   cape-york-travel-pocket-guide(1).pdf (Size: 1.06 MB / Downloads: 573)
05-12-2013, 07:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014, 12:39 AM by troopiepete.)
Just found this interesting part of the Cape, my guess is this is a less travelled route with some great camp sites on the eastern side of the Cape.

Starke Wakooka Lakefield Loop

http://www.fc4magazine.com/starke-wakook...-loop.html

Also some great reviews of camp sites in the Mapoon (north of Weipa) area, Cullen Point and Pennyfather River. These areas are accessed via Weipa.

http://ozmatrix.com/2010/09/pennefather-river
05-12-2013, 08:33 PM,
Put Debbie and myself down as a possible
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM,
Hi

We need to organise a weekend or week night to gather and talk about this trip..
I am thinking of some time in January, possibly a Saturday morning/lunch meeting BYO food and drink if it turns out to be a lunch time.

Please let me know what days suit if you have a tight social Calendar,
Also if you have a Venue you are happy to provide..

What I want to do at this stage is create a list of places to visit including attractions at these places and possible order of attendance.
I will be starting an Excell spreadsheet with names and places and hope to have this occupied before the meeting.

Remember this is your trip and I want your input - if there is a place you wish to visit then please tell us - clearly not all places are going to be possible and we only have a limited time away but I think there is a possibility of seeing heaps 8-)
30-12-2013, 12:07 PM,
Although I am only new to your forum I hope to be doing a trip starting early July and would appreciate being considered as a possible tag along for your trip, I would also be interested in attending your planning meeting. I did the cape last year and truly believe that planning is everything and as Peter said, it is important that you make certain that you let everyone know what "you want out of your trip experience" otherwise you might find yourself disappointed with the experience.
Len
30-12-2013, 10:48 PM,
len's60 Wrote:Although I am only new to your forum I hope to be doing a trip starting early July and would appreciate being considered as a possible tag along for your trip, I would also be interested in attending your planning meeting. I did the cape last year and truly believe that planning is everything and as Peter said, it is important that you make certain that you let everyone know what "you want out of your trip experience" otherwise you might find yourself disappointed with the experience.
Len

Hi Len
You are welcome to attend the meetings and after meeting you and possibly heading out on a trip or two the group will decide if you are welcome to join us, mind you in saying that we are yet to knock anyone back Big Grin
Although I am the default trip leader this is your trip and I don't want to ignore ideas on places to visit or better still places to avoid, one such place I was told about last night is Lockhart River township - apparently this is a good place to avoid and as it's not exactly on the way I doubt that will be an issue.

I am trying to pin down a date and will have one shortly - it will be a Saturday Afternoon and most likely at my parents place in Logan.
05-01-2014, 05:11 PM,
Hi Guys,

I am thinking/trying to work out a time and date for our first gathering regarding a form of planning meeting for this trip!

So in an attempt to do this and fit in with all parties my end - how would next Saturday be possibly 1pm and it will be held at my Parents place - aprox location is on the other side of the Highway for the Logan Hyperdome.. in Tanah Merah
If you are able to attend please send me an email and I will send the actual address.

Bring Maps and refreshments if you want any..
I want to start mapping out what people actually wish to achieve from this trip - things you want to see and things you don't

Please bring any literature you have on the place.

Time: 1pm
Date 11/1/14

** We will most likely also cover some of this at the club meeting one the 8th and no doubt this will not be the last meeting but we have to start somewhere!
This is a simple trip but we have a lot to see and do so while nothing is ever set in concrete I would like to have some idea of how we are going to tackle it.
09-01-2014, 11:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014, 12:41 AM by troopiepete.)
Hi Pete,

Attaching that Cape York 2013 Trip itinerary.

Attached Files
.xls   Cape York Trip 2013 this one.xls (Size: 50 KB / Downloads: 394)
05-02-2014, 06:11 PM,
Hi

I am currently working on an update to the proposed trip and have met a bit of a crossroad..
With the current plan some of us will be unable to see all that we wish while others want to spend more time resting at some places as they don't want to be traveling every day - neither do I but our time is limited and the number of places some of us want to see is extensive.

There is another issue that the number of vehicles is increasing and it's getting to a point that some of us are thinking it may be a good idea to split the group, either at the beginning or after we have done the Creb Track, possibly meeting back up at different points at over night camp stops, this way those that wish to have a slow trip resting often but also not to worried about visiting all of the sites can - then by meeting up at over night camps you can arrive early or late either way you will not be under pressure to get to a meeting point in a tight time frame..

As with most of this trip nothing is set in concrete so anything can change, many things will affect this trip such as road conditions and the weather..

Over the next day or two I will provide an updated trip planner with for (Group 1) those that wish to see it all and not too worried about resting too often..
I will also try and work on a planner for the alternate group - or Group 2 for people that want a more leisurely trip.
I have an idea of some that wish to spend more time in some places but not all, please let me know where you fit.

Please provide feedback on this idea - or even better you own version of the planner - remember this is your trip - I am only the trip leader and have my own agenda - it may not be yours so please voice your trip plans and aspirations.

Lastly::
Several of you have never been on a trip with us and there is nothing like a month long trip to either create long term friends or other alternatives non of us want!
So as a trial for packing and testing how your car feels when loaded up - plus a get to know your fellow travelers I propose a trip a month or so before the trip, an over night stay would be sufficient either close to Brisbane in a 4WD park such as Janowen Hills or a tad further like Sundown - again ideas on a place or dates please.
06-02-2014, 12:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014, 12:41 AM by troopiepete.)
Hi Fellas,

Well, unhappily and with great regret, I have to advise that I will now have to cancel my plans to join you on your sojourn to the Cape in July.
My son has decided to get married on the 3rd August and no matter what they will not change their wedding plans. Really, how ungrateful can the fruit of ones loins be after all and well I don't think I really need mention the deafeningly silent abuse received from the other half of the child production line when I mentioned that they could either have the wedding after the 15th August or I could watch the video on my return. Alas all of my gentle but persistent arguing, begging and cajoling was to no avail.

I wish you all well on your journey and may your travels be safe and exhilarating.

I will now have to try for 2015.

Regards,

Bill. Sad
07-02-2014, 04:45 PM,
JackaRoo Wrote:Hi Fellas,

Well, unhappily and with great regret, I have to advise that I will now have to cancel my plans to join you on your sojourn to the Cape in July.
My son has decided to get married on the 3rd August and no matter what they will not change their wedding plans. Really, how ungrateful can the fruit of ones loins be after all and well I don't think I really need mention the deafeningly silent abuse received from the other half of the child production line when I mentioned that they could either have the wedding after the 15th August or I could watch the video on my return. Alas all of my gentle but persistent arguing, begging and cajoling was to no avail.

I wish you all well on your journey and may your travels be safe and exhilarating.

I will now have to try for 2015.

Regards,

Bill. :cry:

Bugger Bill,
They can be so cruel, no consideration for what we want to do!
This trip has been on my agenda since 2010 and keeps getting postponed, firstly by a wedding then one thing or another so I know how you feel.

Best luck with the wedding, we have another one on the horizon ourselves, possibly for next year so possibly that too will be a year of fun for us.
09-02-2014, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014, 12:45 AM by troopiepete.)
Extract from http://www.cape-york-australia.com"
THE WET IS STEADY

The Wet has been steady ever since it kicked in, with a few sunny days in between the mostly rainy ones, but also some beautiful stormy skies.

The rivers are up and the road north is closed, as you would expect this time of the year.

It's also been really good fishing, we've caught some big fish and lots of it just very lately, without even taking the boat out. Mangrove jack, jewfish, garfish, reef shark, lots of grunter (sometimes 2-3 big ones per night), even spangled emperor, and of course barramundi - and the barra season has just started!

Well, we have also spent more evenings fishing, but still, we used to never have to freeze the fillets but it's now at that point :-)

The cyclone season has also been full on, you would likely know from the news if you live in Australia, but for the rest - it's been a lot of tropical lows and about five cyclones now, unusually many compared to other years.

Mostly category ones so far, but Dylan was cat two when it hit the Whitsundays 10 days ago. Hoping for the best for the rest of the season, still a couple of months to go.

ARCHER POINT CAMP SOON NOT FREE

And the news that first made me think of writing this newsletter - a ranger station is being built at Archer Point.

One of our most beautiful FREE camping spots is getting under the management of the national parks and the 'good' (NOT) old booking system will apply.

I cannot blame them for making us to pay a few bucks. There has always been a massive garbage container which is the only solution for rubbish management on that site, and fair enough - it's not free for them to manage.

It's just the fact that you have to plan and book it beforehand, which is such a pain on a Cape York trip.

A lot of FREE camp spots where we used to camp now cost money or have 'no camping' signs.

A lot of the time this is due to people littering these spots, which will obviously cost someone money to clean, so finally they get enough of it.

You will help to keep the FREE spots FREE by not leaving rubbish behind.

I always keep the Destination Guide updated on all the bush camping spots and whether they are FREE or what applies.

Some start costing money but there are always others ;-)

We get around a lot (during the right season), we love to find out what's in the end of every track, so we find them, and there will always be enough of them for your trip in the Destination Guide :-)
10-02-2014, 03:42 PM,
Update regarding Archer Point Camping

ARCHER POINT

It is not a national parks ranger station, it's the local Yuku Baja Muliku Aboriginal ranger station that is being built.

They will formalise camping on this site, but it will not happen this year yet.

Until they have it organised, they allow free bush camping.

So this season's travellers - you are fine in Archer Point :-)
10-02-2014, 05:32 PM,
Good to see it's still available at this stage Big Grin

I emailed Katrin asking a few questions and I pointed her towards our web site so she could check the trip planner.
This is what she had to say..
Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind words and appreciating the website and the book :-)

Your plan sounds fun, a few things that came into my mind while reading..
Leave the CREB Track to the way back if you can, and i recommend the same for Cape Melville. Or have a Plan A and a Plan B that you can quickly switch to just in case you need to. In most years, CREB track doesn't open before August. And in many years the same goes for Cape Melville (i already made myself a note to point that out better in the Destination Guide). You may have a good luck, but if not switch to the Plan B and your chances are much better by the time you are on your way back down. I know CREB is to be done from south to north, you would just have to drive Bloomfield Road twice, and it's only 30ish km and it's quite a fun road anyway. Frenchmans on the way back sounds good.

As my subscribers found out in the newsletter earlier today, there is no need to worry about Archer Point - it will still be FREE during this season.
It's a great spot too, but it is not so easy to recommend people where they should stay longer, as there are so many different interests (bird watchers would stay in Iron Range, fishermen in Weipa, etc etc..). One sure thing i recommend is to spend some time at the Tip - north of Jardine River - it's quite special to be up there.

And all the free camp spots i would recommend at this stage are in the Destination Guide.

Had a look at your forums, looks and sounds great!

Make sure you all have UHF radios, they become incredibly handy and fun when travelling in a group.

You have a great trip ahead, have fun :-)

Katrin.
****************************************************************************************************

Please check the Trip planner that I posted earlier, it has been updated with a few minor changes, the PDF version has also been updated.
06-04-2014, 09:11 AM,
Weipa

Camping at Weipa Caravan Park

Prices per vehicle twin share
Powered $35
Unpowered $30

Mine tour
2 hours
8.20am and 2.30pm
Adults $40
Children $15 (5-15)
21-04-2014, 04:02 PM,
Re: 2014 July 11th to the 10th August Cape York - Planning s
Hi Guys,
Just bumping this,
Been in contact with katrin,
Apparently the roads should be open
21-04-2014, 06:52 PM,
Me Too
Katrin thought most of the tracks should be open, I was concerned with Cape Melville NP and surrounding areas as it took the brunt of the cyclone's inland push and they wont know until they venture in there to take a look at the damage and what can be done
Katrin will elaborate in her next newsletter with all the details she has at hand
we have just under 3 months for everything to improve up that way with whatever can be done

This trip will prove to be a very interesting trip especially if the Creb track opens again, I do hope so
bar no more cyclones, all should be well with a trip that will have some of the scars left visible by the cyclone, and a very different feel

Looking forward to making it a memorable one
21-04-2014, 10:53 PM,
Just wondering if any of you would like the idea of staying at Cape Melville NP for an extra day?
It seems a hell of long way to drive to only stay one night - especially for the fishing..

We have a few days up our sleeves..

Or we give it a total miss for this trip and stay somewhere else longer..
22-04-2014, 10:20 AM,
Hi had in mind that it would take 3 days in there
first one traveling in, exploring and camping
second to fish, explore and camp
third day to head out towards Musgrave roadhouse visiting sites in Lakefield NP on the way and then free camp at Coen for the night
22-04-2014, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014, 12:46 AM by troopiepete.)
On the topic od Cape Melville, here is an interesting read and of note what the weather conditions can be like including the wildlife.

http://www.campertrailers.org/cape_melville.html

http://www.fc4magazine.com/cape-melville.html
24-04-2014, 12:17 PM,
I won't be bringing camper if I can make it to trip it has been sold should make Pete happy
27-04-2014, 12:48 AM,
RE: 2014 July 11th to the 10th August Cape York - Planning stage
Hi Dave and Deb,

Sounds good Smile
It's not so much keeping me happy as much as making the trip more enjoyable for the rest.
22-05-2014, 07:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-05-2014, 07:49 AM by daggy.)
Hello

I have been looking at some of the camping options that are available when we are within National Parks. One that is noteworthy is Lakefield. It would appear that there is already a considerable uptake of bookings within this park. The are a few campsites remaining at Kalpower Crossing and more available just a short drive north at Hann Crossing. The biggest problem that I see for us at the moment is that while there may be campsites available when you look closer there is not enough space to accommodate all vehicles and campers.

The purpose of this post is not so much for Peter, Paul and myself but for those of you that are still not committed. We/you need to make your decision so that these campsites can be booked. I don't mean to push you but some of the campsites in the campgrounds can be a couple of kilometres away from each other, and it would be so much nicer if we could all stay together.

There seems to be a some discussion and road reports starting to appear of other forums on the web. Here they are:

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/1078...x%3fpn%3d1

http://www.exploroz.com/QLD/Far_North_Ql....aspx#r210

http://www.exploroz.com/QLD/Far_North_Ql...Roads.aspx

http://www.exploroz.com/QLD/Far_North_Ql...Roads.aspx
22-05-2014, 08:06 AM,
As mentioned Cap Sites are filling quick!
What we need is your Commitment if not just to book sites possibly by the end of next week or we will be at the mercy of the poor decisions by parks when it comes to camp sites!

If you are still planning on going but am not yet sure you MUST let us know so sites can be booked - if you end up pulling out there is usually a chance that you will get the booking money back - but read the requirements for this.

A few points that are concerning us..
- Several of the roads and sites we wish to visit are still closed
- Cape Melville is a pipe dream and worthy of a week long visit if not more!
- Remember Guys this trip is over one month and if you have not camped with us before you do not know us and we do not know you.. not a good start for this trip.

Due to several factors we are currently looking at changing the first few days of this trip following the Creb Track, when this has been massaged I will release an update, but not until I return from Fraser on Monday.
22-05-2014, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014, 05:47 PM by troopiepete.)
Hi

I have taken the jump and booked a camp site but only for Merv and I
The Camp site is number 4 and can take up to 15 people, it is close to the toilet block and has a 2M drop down into the River so should be good for both fishing and keeping away from the snapping handbagsAngel

This booking can be altered to take all of our group and we have up until 2 days prior to change the booking.

Day for Booking 17th July - site 4

For me to edit the Booking I need the following details..

Number of People including kids + age
Car Registration:
Cost is $5.60 per person
27-05-2014, 02:42 PM,
Last night I changed the booking to the 16th, once I know numbers I can alter it to fit all of you.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk
27-05-2014, 04:13 PM,
Today I got a Facebook message saying the crebb was still shut due to damage from storms / also Peter mark me as not coming to cape if I do it will be last minute
28-05-2014, 08:57 AM,
Hi David

From what I have been told the track can open and close if a possum sneezesCool
So I guess it will have to be suck it and see, the track may be open by then or it may not so I guess when we get there the final decision will have to be made, it's even possible to do the track on the way back but that would be my last option.

The next meeting will cover some of these things, but even then we will not know how the trip plays out until we are there and doing it.. that's just how trips such as this happen.Big Grin
28-05-2014, 04:56 PM,
(28-05-2014, 08:57 AM)TroopiePete Wrote: Hi David

From what I have been told the track can open and close if a possum sneezesCool
So I guess it will have to be suck it and see, the track may be open by then or it may not so I guess when we get there the final decision will have to be made, it's even possible to do the track on the way back but that would be my last option.

The next meeting will cover some of these things, but even then we will not know how the trip plays out until we are there and doing it.. that's just how trips such as this happen.Big Grin

Yea mate after I sent that message I read elsewhere that it was open I guess we won't know till we get there
07-06-2014, 08:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM by daggy.)
A road update from Exploreoz. Update Weipa to Bramwell Station to Seasia.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/1081...x%3fpn%3d1

Some more info on the road from Maytown to Chillagoe.

08-06-2014, 06:18 PM,

This is the first video I have found of the Cape in 2014.
09-06-2014, 06:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014, 07:19 PM by troopiepete.)
Wow that looks exciting, hope we have that much fun Wink

On the note of water, I was speaking to Joe today about a trip he just did where they picked up some bad fuel, his car was ok but his mates "New" Common Rail is stuffed and needs a rebuild.. the thought occurred that maybe some of you guys with new trucks should look at installing additional water traps in your fuel line, I am certainly suggesting this for Dad's Pajero even though he is not taking it on this trip as you never know where you will pick up bad fuel!

Another item and I know this may seem a tad late but better late than never..
I want a list of things you want to see or for you a must do list!
I will start it off and add my comments as I think of them and not in the order of preference.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Peter -
1 - The Tip
2 - CREB Track
3 - French Track
4 - Weipa & Mines
5 - TI and other islands
6 - Telly Track
From Darryl
Maytown and Old Coach Road.

Horn Island, just received an email from one of the boys in Cooktown and me thinks it may be expensive but its a long way and a long time for regrets. Apparently the island has a very good military museum.

Aircraft wrecks at Bamaga.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also as it is getting closer we need to sort the list of people out!

Who is Attending..
1 - Peter & Merv - Troopiepete
2 - Darryl - Daggy
3 - Paul, Alison and Connor 4yrs old

Interested but cannot commit yet;
1 - Danny - Joining us at Cairns
2 - David - Time bandit
09-06-2014, 06:16 PM,
Maytown and Old Coach Road.

Horn Island, just received an email from one of the boys in Cooktown and me thinks it may be expensive but its a long way and a long time for regrets. Apparently the island has a very good military museum.

Aircraft wrecks at Bamaga.
09-06-2014, 06:27 PM,
I have finally reached the last few pages of the Cape Travelers Guide and these are the prices in her book..

1 - Peddells Ferry Ph40691551 ($116 Return) Dep 8am Depart from TI 2:30pm
But we have to find our own way around the island!

2 - Cape York Adventures Ph.40693302 ($199pp) 8am - 4pm - TI, Horn, Roko, Pearl farm

This trip is expensive but we get to see heaps more islands, not sure if it includes a trip into the bunkers on TI but it certainly looks like a better deal..
I don't really want to spend this much but as suggested it's a long way to go to not see all of these things.. it may include lunch but need to find this out.

As with a good many things on this trip, if you don't want to do this trip or cannot warrant the expense then you do not have to do it and there are still plenty of other things that can be done, same with the Mine tour at Weipa - as it is expensive!
10-06-2014, 07:14 PM,
An excerpt from an email from a fellow that I know that lives in Cooktown.

"It all depends on what you want to see. The military museum at Horn Island is worthwhile looking at as well as the aircraft wrecks just out of Bamaga. I also enjoyed a day trip to TI and had a look at the old Chinese cemetery and Fort Green. If you go over to TI we found the best way to get around was just hire a Maxi Taxi and tell the driver you want a tour. It cost us about $30.00 I think for about 45mins.

I found that 2 Weeks was far too short to see everything. We mainly did the sights along the west coast of the peninsular and called into Varylia Point which was a nice camping area. Fruit Bat Falls is an excellent spot for a swim and I enjoyed it more than Twin Falls but both are worth seeing. Are you going to do the OLT and if so particularly Gunshot Crossing.

On our way back friends of ours split from us and when out to Chilli Beach on the East Coast and said it was really nice but I haven’t been there myself. Portland Roads on the East Coast is also quite nice."
14-06-2014, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-06-2014, 06:27 PM by daggy.)
Cook Shire road reports

http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/current-road-status

Douglas Shire Council, more specifically CREB Track

http://douglas.qld.gov.au/road-conditions/creb-track/
14-06-2014, 08:48 PM,
The gate at Kalpowar Crossing to the remainder of RINYIRUU (LAKEFIELD) NATIONAL PARK and CAPE MELVILLE NATIONAL PARK is CLOSED and will reopen when weather permits. At this stage it is EXPECTED to open15 August 2015 - weather permitting.

I will phone for conformation but it is looking like we will not be camping at Lakefield :-(

As for the CREB Track, Danny told us that the Local Council wants to permanently close the road, he and others are trying to work with them to keep it open - I guess it's a wait and see on many of the areas we want to visit and heaps can happen between now and then but it is only 3+ weeks to go so it's not looking goodAngry
16-06-2014, 04:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014, 04:48 PM by troopiepete.)
Hi I sent this request to Parks..
Hi

I currently have a booking for the Hann Crossing camp site in the Lakfield NP for the 16th of July this year.
Today I read that this park or the roads leading into it may be closed due to flooding, is this the case and will the still be closed for this area by the time we are due to be camping there?
We have a group of 3 - 4 cars and I was about to increase the number or people camping on the pass but if it's going to be closed I guess it needs to be cancelled?

Our group are all experienced 4WD people with high clearance vehicles and plenty of self recovery gear.. not sure if that counts but did notice that on several of the road reports.

Booking Number 788893

If it needs to be cancelled I can do it online but I just need to know if it's worth keeping it valid for now.

Regards
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
River City 4WD Club - President
Sent from my Thumping huge Laptop

*** This is the Reply..

Good morning Peter

Unfortunately we don't control the roads leading into Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park - they are controlled by the Cook Shire Council - here is a link to their web page on road closures/status etc: http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/current-road-status

At this stage it looks like access might be limited to Lakefield for your booking, however I would hold on to my booking if I were you as things can change. If the park is closed due to access conditions you will be entitled to a full refund.

Kind regards, Donna

Donna McArthur
Senior Project Officer
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing

So it looks like we should hold the booking at the moment, I will bump it up to cover the numbers we currently have, but will not take any money for it until we actually make use of it as a refund will be given to me Angel

Just checked the site and it appears we can get to the park, it's just that we will have to head back out via the south..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Lakefield Road is OPEN to all traffic from the southern end as far as the Kalpowar Crossing or National Parks Ranger Station. It is not anticipated that the gate at the Kalpowar Crossing will open before the end of July 2014. The northern section of this road around to Marina Plains Road is still CLOSED.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
16-06-2014, 06:28 PM,
(16-06-2014, 04:44 PM)TroopiePete Wrote: Hi I sent this request to Parks..
Hi

I currently have a booking for the Hann Crossing camp site in the Lakfield NP for the 16th of July this year.
Today I read that this park or the roads leading into it may be closed due to flooding, is this the case and will the still be closed for this area by the time we are due to be camping there?
We have a group of 3 - 4 cars and I was about to increase the number or people camping on the pass but if it's going to be closed I guess it needs to be cancelled?

Our group are all experienced 4WD people with high clearance vehicles and plenty of self recovery gear.. not sure if that counts but did notice that on several of the road reports.

Booking Number 788893

If it needs to be cancelled I can do it online but I just need to know if it's worth keeping it valid for now.

Regards
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
River City 4WD Club - President
Sent from my Thumping huge Laptop

*** This is the Reply..

Good morning Peter

Unfortunately we don't control the roads leading into Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park - they are controlled by the Cook Shire Council - here is a link to their web page on road closures/status etc: http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/current-road-status

At this stage it looks like access might be limited to Lakefield for your booking, however I would hold on to my booking if I were you as things can change. If the park is closed due to access conditions you will be entitled to a full refund.

Kind regards, Donna

Donna McArthur
Senior Project Officer
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing

So it looks like we should hold the booking at the moment, I will bump it up to cover the numbers we currently have, but will not take any money for it until we actually make use of it as a refund will be given to me Angel

Just checked the site and it appears we can get to the park, it's just that we will have to head back out via the south..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Lakefield Road is OPEN to all traffic from the southern end as far as the Kalpowar Crossing or National Parks Ranger Station. It is not anticipated that the gate at the Kalpowar Crossing will open before the end of July 2014. The northern section of this road around to Marina Plains Road is still CLOSED.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
On the QLD dept of roads - has the 15th August down as the earliest for some roads in thar area
16-06-2014, 08:45 PM,
Yep never found them to be all that accurate, it seems the southern end should be accesable, I guess that may change where we camp, or take us out of the park completely..
On that note when will you know if you can join us or not?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk
20-06-2014, 10:07 AM,
Just read a report that says (hopefully) the road through Lakefield National Park to the North (our intended route) will be open on 24 June. The road from Kalpower to Bathurst Bay will not be open until 15 July and maybe then some due to road crews not being able to access the area and assess cyclone damage.

With the continued rain in the far north, I would not expect the CREB to open in the time that we are there. The alternate route has been/is the Bloomfeld Track. Now, while I can't find a website even looking at the Douglas Shire (responsible shire) to say that it's open I haven't seen one that says it's closed.

The best that I can find is this

http://douglas.qld.gov.au/caution-signag...eld-track/

Kind of says to me that it's open, but a whole lot of FUN.Big Grin
24-06-2014, 11:23 PM,
Bit upside down But..

I have posted updates on the trip sked,
But in the interest of keeping it easy to find I have posted it on the first post of this forum.. so just go to back to the top and download away..
07-07-2014, 03:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014, 03:08 PM by troopiepete.)
Hi

It is getting exciting and so so close to the event!
I am on night shift for the next two nights then have Wednesday to finish off a few things prior to heading off with Merv "Dad" Thursday morning..
Getting so so close Cool

I have updated the Trip planner --
But the main post for this continues at the top of this topic so just keep looking at the first post for updated files, at this stage we are up to version 5 but it is sure to be updated further..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cape York, As I remember it, ver 4 daggy 7 34,874 28-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Last Post: White Bush Pig
  2014 May - Sat 17th,Sun 18th - Spring Mountain Horse Enduro COMPLETED troopiepete 8 23,767 16-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Last Post: johnnyn
  Sundown 22nd Feb 2014 Joe b 1 5,653 21-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Last Post: daggy
  20160827 Scenic Rim 4x4 park 28th August White Bush Pig 10 24,265 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Weatherman
  20160806 Levuka 4wd park 6th - 7th August White Bush Pig 7 18,159 04-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Last Post: OzdaddyO
  20160611 The Springs 4x4 Park 11th - 12th June White Bush Pig 6 15,437 15-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Weatherman
  20160409 Scenic Rim 4x4 Park 9th - 10th April White Bush Pig 7 16,889 11-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Last Post: White Bush Pig
  2015 July 3 - Birdsville Big Red Bash 4wdQld COMPLETED sirlezz 1 9,500 16-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Sally85
  2015 11-12 July Sundown National Park COMPLETED sirlezz 29 66,045 13-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Last Post: johnnyn
Rainbow 2015 - May 29-31 Fraser Island Cleanup COMPLETED sirlezz 47 120,996 01-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Last Post: sirlezz