Dirt Road
07-04-2014, 06:58 AM,
Dirt Road
Hello Western Drivers

I was at the 4x4 show on friday

I came across Peter-2 several times

Anyway I was chattering to a guy from the DIAMANTINA shire tourist office

He told me lots of things but one thing he did say that was amazing there is only 208k's of dirt road between Brisbane and Birdsville at the Bird end

Good grief not so much fun anymore

Johnny
07-04-2014, 06:59 AM,
Re: Dirt Road
Hello Again

I forgot to add

It is only 1602k's from Brisbane to Bird

Johnny
07-04-2014, 07:23 AM,
Well that is only one way to drive, but not much fun
there is plenty of dirt roads to drive and enjoy the country on the way to anywhere
go find em and drive em
that is all the fun
If you cannot find them you are not looking hard enough
07-04-2014, 05:02 PM,
Last Easter there certainly was a heap more black stuff and you could see this was changing!
The road has been altered or shortened in some places including a bypass of that closed pub :o

Also the Road out to Innaminka has also changed heaps and is different to all the maps, Hema will possibly update this in the next run, but likewise it's Tar almost all the way to Innaminka - at least to the SA/QLD Border!!
07-04-2014, 08:38 PM,
Not wrong Pete my brother in law was out at innaminka last year he said a lot of the road was tar
08-04-2014, 02:07 AM,
I guess part of that is trying to encourage more people to visit the area and increase the tourist dollars for the town/shire.
08-04-2014, 06:44 AM,
Hello

Banging on from my first part of this story

The Diamantina guy told that a reason for keeping the dirt was to keep out or away the revheads/yobbo's who only like bitumen (burnouts) and by leaving the dirt it still holds challenges for those to make trips out there an adventure

Johnny
08-04-2014, 03:04 PM,
The main roads out that way were not to bad for being dirt but I suppose it will make it easier for supply,s to get through