Roof Top Tent
28-05-2014, 06:08 PM,
Roof Top Tent
Readers, with the Cape calling and only a few weeks before we leave I am reviewing my accommodation options. Yesterday I had a look at a roof top tent. They look pretty comfortable and spacious, more room than a tent cot. Now a tent cot is great but i'm not sure if they are great every night for 4 weeks on the road.

My question is for those that had a roof top tent how are these things on the roof when the going gets tough?

Please reply with your personal experiences or what your mate has experienced not what you think they would be like.

Also any opinion on the myriad of brands out there.
29-05-2014, 05:56 PM,
RE: Roof Top Tent
First question to ask is do you want something to sleep in or do you want more than that ? If it is just for sleeping I would go the tent cot; up in 3 minutes and no having to climb all over the truck to pack up each morning. If you want more than just sleeping ,what is it you want? Room to dress? Somewhere to lay around if it is raining ?etc etc etc.

A good size, good quality awning will give protection from sun and rain and and is easy to put up and down without the worry of bedding getting wet.
Removing the cover coated in red dust or mud is not something to look forward to before setting up your bed each night.

I am not a fan of RTT's but do see them as being suitable for some people (the under 40 yo brigade).

As to brands and quality it is a lottery as far as I can see.
I have something similar to this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAHARA-TENTS-...35d02f5b0a
on the passenger side and something like this on the drivers side.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2M-x-3M-AWNIN...1c40e437a3
29-05-2014, 06:08 PM,
Hi Stockhorse

I'm actually after the experiences of people that have or had an RTT and how they feel while driving.

Tent cots are great, but for a month, I don't know. They still take about 10 min to pack up, bedding, mattress, and packing away. I've already got an awning.
29-05-2014, 08:30 PM,
Apart from a slight increase in fuel consumption I didn't notice much difference when driving.(60 series cruiser so not big on power anyway).
Cross winds have more effect but nothing too bad.

Haven't done any extreme offroad stuff with a RTT on but for a cape trip there is nothing severe or serious side slopes that the weight of the tent on the roof would cause any problems with.
29-06-2014, 09:38 PM,
Well, just won the auction on ebay and got meself a 3 month old, used 4 times with LED light, Roo System RTT. As it is I was seriously looking at the Roo Systems or Adventure Kings RTT, both made by Darche. AND it's a Roo.

Hopefully pick up before the weekend and only 11 days to go.
30-06-2014, 07:41 AM,
(29-06-2014, 09:38 PM)daggy Wrote: Well, just won the auction on ebay and got meself a 3 month old, used 4 times with LED light, Roo System RTT. As it is I was seriously looking at the Roo Systems or Adventure Kings RTT, both made by Darche. AND it's a Roo.

Hopefully pick up before the weekend and only 11 days to go.

Congrats mate look forward to seeing it in pictures and a run down of how it went Smile
30-06-2014, 11:40 PM,
Fantastic mate,

Hope to see it get plenty of use on the Cape Trip.

So we can put you close to all the Rivers now and be our barrier to the Croc's Blush
12-08-2015, 09:10 PM,
Hi,
Pretty old post but I just back from traveling Perth and I used the tent with nice bedding and I got no problem with tent even nothing with bedding. So its comfortable even in the 2 hours rain.