Apple Gps
10-06-2014, 06:21 PM,
Apple Gps
Hi guys for those of us who have apple tablets,phones none of them come with a separate Gps chip I just found a company that sells Gps dongles ,the dongles are called bad elf there a three types two connect directly to iPad 1 uses Bluetooth .the main company is American ( Bad Elf) you can buy from them or Aussie distributer is called Calculators & handheld systems or EBay prices are between 100 & 200 dollars
10-06-2014, 10:20 PM,
RE: Apple Gps
A Pilot friend of mine who flies for Quantas has been give an Apple Tablet "ipad" as have all pilots, he runs the GPS all the way on each flight so I guess those ones come with an integrated GPS receiver.
11-06-2014, 09:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014, 09:05 PM by Joe b.)
(10-06-2014, 10:20 PM)TroopiePete Wrote: A Pilot friend of mine who flies for Quantas has been give an Apple Tablet "ipad" as have all pilots, he runs the GPS all the way on each flight so I guess those ones come with an integrated GPS receiver.
If your ipad has a simcard it will also have a built in gps . The wifi only ipads dont have a gps built in so you need a Bad elf or a blue tooth gps to run any nav programs . Even then you a locked into apple in purchasing expensive nav programs thru there app store. This is why the android tablets a so much more popular .The samsung galaxy tabs 7, 8 ,and 10'' a extremely easy to use and run lots of nav programs for free except $25 licence for oziexplorer . Forget about the Hema units they a way overpriced chinese win ce units have slow processors low resolution screens. hard to see on dash in sunlight. These run oziexplorer with a custom screen and igo as there street nav .IF you want to purchase a good navigator for offroad buy a brand name android tablet and ask a member to help set it up for you at an outing.It only take a few minites and will save you 3 to 4 hundred dollars compared to a hema unit

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

12-06-2014, 09:37 AM,
(11-06-2014, 09:04 PM)Joe b Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 10:20 PM)TroopiePete Wrote: A Pilot friend of mine who flies for Quantas has been give an Apple Tablet "ipad" as have all pilots, he runs the GPS all the way on each flight so I guess those ones come with an integrated GPS receiver.
If your ipad has a simcard it will also have a built in gps . The wifi only ipads dont have a gps built in so you need a Bad elf or a blue tooth gps to run any nav programs . Even then you a locked into apple in purchasing expensive nav programs thru there app store. This is why the android tablets a so much more popular .The samsung galaxy tabs 7, 8 ,and 10'' a extremely easy to use and run lots of nav programs for free except $25 licence for oziexplorer . Forget about the Hema units they a way overpriced chinese win ce units have slow processors low resolution screens. hard to see on dash in sunlight. These run oziexplorer with a custom screen and igo as there street nav .IF you want to purchase a good navigator for offroad buy a brand name android tablet and ask a member to help set it up for you at an outing.It only take a few minites and will save you 3 to 4 hundred dollars compared to a hema unit
Hi mate yes I agree that Samsung are better but I cannot afford a new system I currently have a iPad 2 wifi it will have to do I'm looking at different mapping options what would you recommend
12-06-2014, 01:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014, 01:42 PM by Joe b.)
(12-06-2014, 09:37 AM)Time bandit Wrote:
Hi mate yes I agree that Samsung are better but I cannot afford a new system I currently have a iPad 2 wifi it will have to do I'm looking at different mapping options what would you recommend
Hi.David .Read this 11 page thread http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/gps-tal...y-map.html
14-06-2014, 01:11 PM,
(12-06-2014, 01:40 PM)Joe b Wrote:
(12-06-2014, 09:37 AM)Time bandit Wrote:
Hi.David .Read this 11 page thread http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/gps-tal...y-map.html
i would seem its a toss up between hema or memory map most did lean towards hema