2015 - May 29-31 Fraser Island Cleanup COMPLETED
05-09-2014, 10:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-07-2015, 01:36 PM by sirlezz.)
Rainbow  2015 - May 29-31 Fraser Island Cleanup COMPLETED
Recent advice from Johnny Smile

"At the first of our Fraser Island Cleanup meeting we have settled on a Date in 2015
It is Saturday-30th & Sunday-31st of May 2015 Cool

But the 'travelling window' will also be Friday and the Monday"

Stay tuned for more information Big Grin
09-09-2014, 07:54 PM,
RE: 2015 - May 29-31 Fraser Island Cleanup
Hi Everyone this is an extract from an Email sent to all clubs

Johnny Osbaldiston is looking after this event on RiverCity's behalf behalf Smile

15th Annual Fraser Island Clean Up

Call for Expressions of Interest – Returned by 1st Feb 2015 Cool

Hello Fellow Clubs Big Grin
The Annual Fraser Island Clean Up is once again planned for the following dates
Sat 30th, Sun 31st May to Monday 1st June 2015

Location: Various locations around Fraser Island in cooperation with QPWS

What will be happening as per previous years:-

Saturday morning 30th May - Finial Registration Opens on the beach at Cornwell Break Rd, Fraser Island on arrival :prior arrangement for Friday 29th May please advise Nola by return email closer to the event

Sunday 30th May - Clean Up Activities, followed by presentations, evening entertainment & BBQ.

Monday - Explore some more and sadly time to pack and head home, unless you or your club want to extend the visit*

Where do we camp? Huh

Each club will be designated a camp area (beach camping ONLY). If your club would like to use one of the designated Group Camping Areas at Central Station or Dundubara, please notify this on the form returned by 1st February, 2015.

We request that clubs do NOT make their own arrangements for camping on the island.*

*QPWS vehicle & camping fees will again be waived for the long weekend. Of course, if any of your club’s members intend to arrive before or stay after the times stated above they will be required to pay all the normal fees applicable. Advising us of this scenario will mean that you may not have to relocate camp after the cleanup.

*QPWS vehicle & camping fees will again be waived for the long weekend. Of course, if any of your club’s members intend to arrive before or stay after the times stated above they will be required to pay all the normal fees applicable.

How do we get there? Huh

4WD Qld have negotiated reduced barge fares between the mainland and Fraser Island. Information on prices will be available closer to the event time through email to the trip leaders for each club.

Our club is interested, how do we register? Huh Please wait send attached form by Sunday 1st Feb 2015

.docx   FICU 2015 Club EOI Form for mail out to clubs.docx (Size: 41.19 KB / Downloads: 415)

NB: The event is only open to financial club members and club visitors documented on club trip sheets.
We will keep you updated over the coming months, as we get closer to the event as per usual

In the meantime if you have any questions, CARE Representative Mark Haeusler mark.haeusler@4wdqld.com.au mobile: 0423 191 292 , or contact FICU Chair Person Nola Chase ficu@4wdqld.com.au mobile 0427 196 804

(Note: Johnny O will be our conduit to 4wdQld)

With your help, we look forward to making the 2015 clean up another successful 4WD Qld event!
30-10-2014, 07:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-10-2014, 10:12 PM by sirlezz.)
Hello Fraserers

The latest info is as of 29/10/14

The "thank-you DO" is on again on the Sunday night

That $5 per vehicle is again in place but that also doubles as your raffle ticket like this year - but you can buy extra if you wish

The prizes at this stage are bigger and better than last year so far

The barge again will be discounted from sunrise on the friday until sunset on the monday

More info will be posted as it comes along

Johnny
04-11-2014, 09:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 10:05 PM by sirlezz.)
It may seem too soon for some but I have booked the time so I am (short of some disaster) Going to the cleanup - please start booking the date so we can have a huge group for this one..

Few Points to remember..
1 - We are going to Camp on the West Coast on the first night or two..
2 - If no one has a ute then we need to take a Trailer for us to use while picking rubbish up as piling them up on the roof really sucks Dodgy

3 - if weeding I have may have to get a medical certificate Confused
05-11-2014, 07:13 PM,
I'm thinking of taking the whole week off and heading over the weekend before and looking some areas of the island that I haven't been before.
05-11-2014, 08:23 PM,
Sounds like a plan.. will have to see if I can, idea on dates
05-11-2014, 08:40 PM,
Something like 23 May, that is the weekend before. May change to Mondsy 25 May, depends on my role at Sunnybank Rugby in 2015. Can be sorted in the new year.
05-11-2014, 08:43 PM,
Yep sort of depends on what I have booked, and what is avaliable... We only return from a boat cruise.. for two week's...
07-11-2014, 07:54 PM,
When Jane and I stayed on for a week after our first year, the barge price didn't change.
09-02-2015, 01:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015, 01:49 PM by sirlezz.)
Registration to attend Fraser Island cleanup is due 1 March so please make time to plan to go
please nominate at our next club meeting or on this forum as I will be lodging our intention by the due date

How to register club members and visitors:

* Clubs should fill in the FICU2015 EOI form attached to this email
and return it to the either Mark or Nola (POCs below), no later than 1 March 2015.

* The FICU2015 activity is only open to financial club members and
any club visitors who are documented appropriately on club trip sheets.

* Returning the EOI form provides 4WD QLD with initial attendance
figures, club numbers are not locked in and can be changed later, however we need the early estimates for planning.

Booking and camping for clubs:

* Member clubs should NOT make their own arrangements for camping on the island. Please submit details via the EOI form, so the FICU committee can organise discounts and bookings with QPWS.

* 4WD QLD have negotiated reduced barge fares between the mainland and Fraser Island. Information on prices will be available closer to the
event time through email to the trip leaders for each club.

* Each club will be designated a camp area (beach camping ONLY). If
your club would like to use one of the designated group camping areas at
Central Station or Dundubara, please notify this on the EOI form.

NOTE: QPWS vehicle & camping fees will again be waived for the long weekend.
However, if any of your club's members intend to arrive before, or stay
after the times stated above, they will be required to pay all the normal
fees applicable. Advising us of this scenario will mean that you may not
have to relocate camp after the clean-up.

FICU2015 dates and activities:

* Fri 29 May - Optional, for early registrations, please advise Nola
if you wish to arrive and register early;
* Sat 30 May - Registration open on beach at Cornwell Break Rd (6kms north of Eurong Beach Resort);
* Sun 31 May - Clean-up activities, followed by evening
entertainment, BBQ and presentations; and
* Mon 1 Jun - Final day, more exploring, packing of camp and heading
home.
09-02-2015, 04:36 PM,
I intend on going, no idea of passenger at this time.. also club needs to bring trailer, if you offer to bring yours the club will cover the extra bardge fee. Please let is know ASAP
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM,
Oh we also intend early register arrive early Friday
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM,
Not sure on the definition of clubs organising own camp sites, is this in relation to camping within the cleanup time or before/after?
From last year's mindset we decided to head straight to the west coast and camp there until needed for the cleanup where we may relocate to the east coast.. I am possibly going to stay extra days but this is yet to be set..
11-02-2015, 11:55 AM,
I would say the designated clean camp sites are for the weekend so they FICU can organise themselves and not scare nprsr.qld either, it is so they have a handle on who, how many and where we the clean up crews all end up on that weekend Cool

but saying that we could camp as we pleased around those times based on what activities and touring we have in mind Huh

I'm keen on going early as well Big Grin
27-02-2015, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-02-2015, 01:29 PM by sirlezz.)
Hello Frasers

Just a wee bit more info

This year will be the 15th event

Also the "thank-you doo" is on again at Eurong Resort and also another doo will be at Yidney Rocks near Happy Valley (more details to come)

Johnny
28-02-2015, 08:21 AM,
It looks like we may have 2x caged trailors on this trip..
15-03-2015, 07:29 AM,
Hello fraser's

Just a wayout suggestion

When packing try to include a plastic fly swatter

The little creatures (horse flies) may be present

Johnny
16-03-2015, 08:04 PM,
Hi Johnny,

Are they doing any deals with eurong resort this year?

Cheers
17-03-2015, 05:52 AM,
Hello Fraserer's

Firstly
Yes we are still talking to the Eurong people more details once they are finalised

Secondly
Those of you are hauling up trailers
may I suggest you include a chain and padlock
So if you leave them anywhere you can either secure them to a tree or to each other
not saying that all campers are trust worthy but there could be a 'horrible person' around who may like one

Johnny

(16-03-2015, 08:04 PM)Hdj78rv Wrote: Hi Johnny,

Are they doing any deals with eurong resort this year?

Cheers
17-03-2015, 11:05 PM,
Johnny

Is there a location on the East side where our guys could park the Trailers and lock them up?
At this stage it appears we will have two being towed by our members, provided they are not being used for carting camping gear I would think it better to leave them tied up in a camp site.. possibly where you are camping?

At this stage our group is camping on the west coast from Friday until Sunday, while trailers are fine to bring on the tracks it would be easier if they were not in tow, obviously if being used for carting camping gear then they will come with us, I think at least one couple will be bringing a camper with them.

Past years we have done quite a lot of driving and exploring, this year it's more about the experience of fishing, camping and relaxing for a few days prior to the cleanup day.
22-03-2015, 01:49 PM,
Johnny said that he would be able to have our trailers minded at the Cornwall break registration site where we could lock them up ready for use on the Sunday

Hi will check to ensure that is still the case for this year Cool
22-03-2015, 07:25 PM,
Hello

Stay tuned

I will raise the question this Thursday's night FICU meeting

Johnny

(22-03-2015, 01:49 PM)sirlezz Wrote: Johnny said that he would be able to have our trailers minded at the Cornwall break registration site where we could lock them up ready for use on the Sunday

Hi will check to ensure that is still the case for this year Cool
26-03-2015, 11:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-03-2015, 05:14 PM by sirlezz.)
Hi Thrillseekers
Final Registrations are now required by Monday 6 April

please indicate to me or Peter R if you are going as the club will have to send a cheque @$5 each car going etc.

I already have nine names so far that Ihave sent to FICU
Troopie Pete has around 4 more
if your name is not here and you want to go please let us know asap

Neilson
Gordon
Osbaldiston
Burgess
Enever
Wells
Richens
Richens
Cox
Bris Gary
Heufel

Hi Les

We are looking at finalising numbers for the 2015 FICU.

Your list (attached) has the club at 9 vehicles.

Can you confirm your numbers to see if anyone else wants to join in on the fun or if anyone can't make it now.

I will need to know final numbers by Monday 6th April. Mailout for camp & car stickers will be done shortly after compiling all the clubs.

Also nominate a first & second preferred area to camp. Some clubs are quite large and may be a little restricted on where they can go. I can help on this if needed.

As the same as last year we have a $5 registration per vehicle, and this includes a free ticket in the raffle held at Eurong on Sunday night.

You can do a direct deposit to
Queensland Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs Inc
BSB 484799
Acc 027951272
Ref - FICU & Rivercity
26-03-2015, 04:17 PM,
Quick, put my name down before the world ends.
26-03-2015, 05:23 PM,
Camping site preferences

I have requested a camp site either side of Eurong Cool

1. Wongai or
2. One Tree Rocks camping sites

this will allow us to camp close by Eurong for Sunday night after the celebration and then travel home Monday

yayBig Grin
26-03-2015, 06:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015, 12:51 PM by sirlezz.)
Ok I have got the extra names and added the existing list!
At this stage we have 16 vehicles possibly a 17th although historically some of the people will drop out... BUT if you have indicated you are going please let us know ASAP if you cannot as the larger the group we tell the organisers the larger the area we get to clean up!

Also Please remember we do need to receive a $5 deposit from you basically now, this needs to be sent through to the organisers to cover the cost of printing labels and other items..

Money can be paid directly into our account - BSB 124001 Account Number 0199696
Please mark the payment with your name and "FC" for Fraser Cleanup, so we know what the money was for.

The List I have compiled is.. and passengers

1 - Les Neilson & Eric Neilson = 2
2 - Steve Gordon & Wendy = 2
3 - Johnny Osbaldiston = 1
4 - Paul Burgess = 1+?
5 - D Enever = 2
6 - Kris Wells = 1+?
7 - Peter Richens & Scott Richens = 2
8 - Merv Richens & Ian Richens = 2
9 - Victor Cox = 1+?
10- Gary James & Sue James = 2
11- Peter Heufel = 2
12- Jason Nicol = 2+2 friends
13- Stewart Paternnoster = 1+?
14- David Morrison = 1+?
15- Bennie Prange = 1
16- Nigel Upton & Sharon Upton
17- ?? I know there is someone else, just cannot think of them right now Angel

Some of these People are not currently members but are willing to join soon.
Also I have not shown exact passengers, these numbers will be needed to be as close as possible for the catering on Sunday night at the Party.
07-04-2015, 09:16 PM,
Hi guys I have sent the registration form into today as per above

have further information about paying the barge fees from Johnny O

Because of the discount fees involved for the FICU the barge fees CANNOT be done at the BP or Shell servo's as they are not part of the FICU event

I have received good info that we are to use the Manta Ray barge and they have b-pay on board but do not rely on it so suggest you pay by cash to be sure

Also you can prepay at the manta ray office as you enter rainbow beach this would be the best option
10-04-2015, 10:01 AM,
Hi Thrillseekers this is an update from Mark Haeusler 4wd Qld on Barge fares and Sunday night arrangements etc

To all Club Trip leaders

For those that will be attending the Sunday night dinner, I ask if anyone has any particular dietary requirements that we should know about. I am guessing there will be some with Gluten free, Lactose intolerant or seafood allergies. Actually I don't think that there is seafood anyway, and not much Lactose in a Rissole, but I will ask anyway! Can you get back to me on this well before the weekend.

For those that are coming over by barge, the fares will be
Inskip Manta Ray - $70/car and $100 with trailer. You can pay at the Manta Ray office in town or on the barge, both will have eftpos facilities. Do not book or pay at the Shell or BP as these are not participating in the discount fare.

River Heads Kingfisher barge - $80/car and $115 with trailer up to 4 occupants. You will need to book this before departure and mention you are part of the FICU.

Kingfisher Eurong resort is offering discount accommodation of 20% for volunteers that don't want to pitch a tent. Nice way to relax. Call them on 1800 373 737
http://www.kingfisherbay.com/fraser-isla...an-up.html

Apparently there is a fair bit of rubbish on the beach atm, so be prepared. We ask if you can bring gloves and hivis vests. Also the rangers are thinking about starting up a weeding program near Waddy. I would like to get a club involved in that. Let me know.
I will get back to you on more details later if needed.

Mark Haeusler

Note:
As for any Rivercity member dietary requirements we will confirm this at our next club meeting in May and advise Mark from there, but please let us know asap so we can prepare the list

thanks
10-04-2015, 08:27 PM,
Not sure how the rest of you feel but we did the weeding once and in my mind never again! it's the sort of work that if we have to do it I would want more compensation than free camping and island access!!
Mind you it was a very hot day so that did not help but picture you are working your way through thick bush constantly clearing spider webs from your face and having to watch each step as there may be something nasty to step on!

Basically if we find out that weeding is out task I will be spending the week at home!!!
10-04-2015, 08:41 PM,
I'll bring a letter from my Doctor, anyone else need one. Anyway, isn't that a job for the greenies?
15-04-2015, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015, 09:43 AM by sirlezz.)
For those that need to pay there $5 registration fee Huh

please pay it to

Rivercity
BSB 124001
ACC 10199696

Please put your name or unique forum name on the description so Paul can work out who has paid and who has not Cool

can you do this asap Big Grin
thanks again
15-04-2015, 10:17 AM,
Ah, thank you for the account number correction
16-04-2015, 04:48 PM,
Sorry guys I wont be able to make it to Fraser this year.
17-04-2015, 09:36 PM,
OK thrill seekers we have more news on the Fraser weekend from Johnny Cool

We get the camping spot EURGARIE which is just south of Cathedral resort and north of the Pinnacles and Maheno wreck Tongue

This camp ground begins at the start of the road from the eastern beach across to Woralie creek (west coast) - so an easy run from the west side for us on Sunday morning to our :-

Clean up stretch which starts just south of the Maheno and running north to Wahba Camp ground a mere distance of only 5'ks Yahoo that's a good one to get

It is also requested as a courtesy if we could give the beach north and south of Ngkala rocks a quick pic up by those doing the cape and haul the trash back if possible --
Note. this is a long way with an hour plus journey from our current pickup area so will check first with Johnny as this may be a general request from clubs working north of Orchid beach to see who could make it for support or we may have to send a car/trailer for assistance from our group?? will check it out first though??.

A Sunday thank you lunch is provided (all you can eat) hosted again by the Yidney Rocks Resort kicking off about 12.30pm Big Grin :- It is a short drive south of our pick up area near Happy Valley

Option If we pick up from North to South we could then poodle down to Yidney rocks for lunch without too much time spent traveling and then wrap up our rubbish, set up our camp and get ready for the Sunday Night Eurong barbeque and entertainmentHuh

Johnny will be at the Qld4wd FICU reps meeting next week and should be able to get the passes and permits (to save post)
Which means he can bring them to next club night

That is all for the moment
any changes will be posted ASAP as they come to hand
30-04-2015, 09:24 AM,
Current conditions on Fraser Island
Nola C form FICU reported this morning while sitting on Waddy Point headland at sunrise (someone's got to do it) that the beach sand is great, wide and flat with very little coffee rock showing through.
so plenty of driving up and down the island is available

Also the inland roads are firm and very drivable at present

In summary Fraser Island looks good for visiting with the ability to drive most of the island without too much difficulty

Hope it keeps up for the end of May
03-05-2015, 08:10 AM,
Hello Frasers

As with the recent activity of mother nature

I will endeavour to get some update info on the beach conditions

Johnny
08-05-2015, 06:55 AM,
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser...report.pdf

Here is a link to the latest beach and island conditions.

Take note of the tide times, not particularly friendly for getting around Hook Point early on the morning. The options are sleep in and travel across a little later or use the inland road.
08-05-2015, 02:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM by sirlezz.)
Going by the tide times we could have breakfast at Inskip Idea and then go over around 8am and still make the beach all the way around sounds good to meBig Grin
10-05-2015, 06:30 AM,
Breakfast at Eurong was the plan, but I guess it could be 2nd Breakfast.. the uptons are camping at inskip for a few days so we may join them Thursday night, more details to come
15-05-2015, 10:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-05-2015, 10:16 PM by sirlezz.)
Permits were distributed at Mays club meeting, Les will hold the remainder for those who need on for Fraser and you can catch up with me at Inskip point Rolleyes Thursday night and or Awinya Creek on the island were we plan to veg out until Sunday Wink or contact me directly beforehand

dont forget to arrange for you own ferry fares see previous posts Idea

and see you there Big Grin
16-05-2015, 09:09 AM,
Here is the plan.

Tide times for Friday morning has a high at around 5am.

The plan is to make your way to Inskip Point. Some people will be camping up to a couple of days beforehand, some will finish up work on Thursday and travel up and other will leave Brisbane in the wee small hours.

Meeting point for those coming over Friday will be sometime between 6.30 and 7am at the airdown area at Inskip. Travel across to the Island and make our way to Eurong. We will remain at Eurong until 9am waiting for any stragglers.

From Eurong travel to Cornwells Break Road and drop any trailers.

Now, the important bit. We intend to camp on the Western Beach, hopefully somewhere around Awinya Creek. Information currently available is that crossing Awinya Creek is NOT advised. The intended route is to travel to Woralie Creek and head North up the beach. There may be a problem crossing Bowraddy Creek, in that it is impassable. If this is the case we will make camp wherever we can find a site that will accommodate us. This information is for the main group.

If you are travelling later than the main group and want to find us. Travel to Woralie Creek and head North, you will find us somewhere along the beach. We will not depart this campsite until early on Sunday morning.

For anyone that is interested Peter and myself will be staying on the island for a couple more days. Our plan is to explore the Western side of the island, visiting some of the old log dumps, jetties, airstrips, logging camps and the Z Force training site and possibly stop for a feed at Kingfisher Bay Resort.
20-05-2015, 01:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015, 01:38 PM by sirlezz.)
Hi everyone we have some news from FICU about the weekend Big Grin

This year will hopefully be the biggest event in recent years, having registered numbers greater than the last couple.
We are looking at around 600+ adults & kids in 250+ cars, final numbers will be sorted out after registration.

Remember to have your stickers and camp tags on display at all times, it will make it easier on everyone.
As you can see there is a slightly different sticker this year. We have recognised Patricks as a sponsor that is helping the event financially.

Yidney Rocks Apartments is offering a FREE BBQ LUNCH on Sunday 12:30pm-2pm or later for those that want to have a bit of a feed after the cleanup.
Parking up top will be very limited so maybe park down on the beach and walk up. Again be careful with the traffic.
Since the beach conditions are favourable and low tide is at 12:10 this should be ok.

Can you please get your members to wear hi-vis vests when working on the beach and tracks in the region of vehicles.
We want to be seen and not run over. This especially includes your kids. We will have a small limited number of vests so try not to rely on that.
Also the usual protection that you would have when working outdoors. Wear a hat, sunscreen, gloves.

EMERGENCY Contacts : Fraser Island Clean up UHF channel is #16 if you are in range or call Nola 0427 196 804 or CARE Mark 0423 191 292

full report is here Big Grin

.pdf   FICU Pre Trip Report 2015.pdf (Size: 789.47 KB / Downloads: 401)
24-05-2015, 06:05 PM,
Just spoke to Nigel Upton,
Apparently they will be camping in the http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/inskip...mp-map.pdf camp site and will keep an eye out for us.
Darrel and I will be leaving Brisbane around 6, 6:30pm so will not get to the camp site until late - if you are heading up earlier then either let us know or look out for a Yellow Hummer H2.

Currently we are looking at meeting up at Eurong and departing for the West Coast by 9 - 9:30am - remember tides are high in the morning so travel up around hook point may not be possible - site inspection on the day will determine that.

Counting down the days.. can't wait!
28-05-2015, 08:08 PM,
Dinner with Peter and Scott at Shell Nundah.
29-05-2015, 06:32 AM,
At Rainbow Beach about to head to inskip
02-06-2015, 07:16 AM,
Wow, just camped the night at Ungowa. There is more than one dingo story to vome from here. Stsy tund for a seperate trip report.
04-06-2015, 11:08 PM,
Just a quick not to thank all that attended this years Fraser Cleanup, it once again was a huge success because of people like you!
I would like to see any photos and comments on your experiences from the trip.. some any activity here and on Facebook please Angel
01-07-2015, 11:22 AM,
Steve Gordon s pictures of Fraser by his famous quad copter Big Grin

http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net/showthread.php?tid=585

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fraser Island Clean Up FICU 10-13 May 2019 sirlezz 11 6,180 25-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Last Post: sirlezz
  2019 Moreton Island Trip 2-4 days 1 Sat - 2 Sun March 2019 sirlezz 15 7,356 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Last Post: daggy
  20180810 Moreton Island troopiepete 3 4,200 29-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Last Post: troopiepete
  2019 Fraser Island Cleanup daggy 0 2,664 10-08-2018, 09:11 PM
  20180519 Fraser Island Cleanup troopiepete 6 8,059 02-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Hdj78rv
  2014 May - Sat 17th,Sun 18th - Spring Mountain Horse Enduro COMPLETED troopiepete 8 23,767 16-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Last Post: johnnyn
  2107056-8 May Fraser Island Clean Up sirlezz 22 42,105 03-05-2017, 06:50 AM
  21 May 2016 Moreton Island Clean up sirlezz 1 6,441 31-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Last Post: VooDoo
  20160513 to 16th May - Fraser Cleanup 2016 troopiepete 38 81,287 23-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Weatherman
  2015 Nov 21-22 XMAS Trip options sirlezz 28 56,045 23-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Last Post: troopiepete