Peter & Narelle's Cape Trip 2015
16-08-2015, 08:11 AM,
Peter & Narelle's Cape Trip 2015
Hi all

Not trying to rub it in "much" but decided to make a trip report on the forum for future reference..

Day 1
We left sunny Brisbane about 6am Saturday Morning the 15th of August and basically drove straight through to Mackay with only a few rest stops on the way..
A long drive and not our original first night spot but Narelle was not felling to well so we decided to hang the expense and book a Motel room for the night, we ended getting a room in the Mackay Motor Inn around 7:30pm, nice couple run it and even cooked a late dinner for us - free internet and all Wink 
Narelle is feeling a little better today, our plan is to visit my Unlock Australia friend Kim and his wife in Townsville before setting up camp at Balgal Beach for the night.

During our travel through Rockhampton we passed another Troopcarrier of Australia member, I expected to run across a few but not on the first day :-)
18-08-2015, 08:35 PM,
RE: Peter & Narelle's Cape Trip 2015
Today we did the Train and cable lift up then back from Karanda, had a good day - little too much tourist raping for my liking but was a good day regardless, finished off with dinner in the night markets.
Tomorrow we head off to the Daintree to camp for the first time on this trip and to do the mandatory boat cruise to see the Plastic Crocks in the river - no I am not going to be the one to find out if they are actually real!
19-08-2015, 11:17 PM,
Hope you both have a great and safe trip and enjoy yourselves.
01-09-2015, 05:38 PM,
didn't have enough of the cape last time pete? I know the feeling, once is just not enough.
04-09-2015, 01:29 PM,
I want to go.
11-09-2015, 06:08 PM,
Yep well as you may have noticed not many updates since departing Cairns many weeks back..

Done the Old Telly track up and down although bypassed much of it on the way down as we wanted to return to Weipa to head north and do some fishing..
On the way up I managed to get stuck at Gunshot and some nice new friends from the GC helped me out but not before I managed to pull a tree down with my winch almost hitting Jason in the head with it Big Grin 
Eventually we used two winches to get me out as it seems I managed to dredge a new track out of the mud - looking at how much was on my front diff!
The rest of the track was easy, still had a few challenging parts but basically easy ever-less, camped at Nolans Brook for two nights - what a nice spot Cool

We did heaps and saw heaps but am now back in Cairns for 3 nights before heading south,
Caught up with Tristan who I have chatted with for years in various 4WD Action related chat rooms, meeting a 2nd Cousin of Narelle's in the morning then catching up with another mate tomorrow night.. before heading south to Paronella park then onto destinations south..

We have done a mixture of camping and either cabins or motel rooms as we are currently in, mainly in rooms as the car is base locked when the camp site is set up and we both just wanted a bath from time to time - call me soft but hay it's our Holiday Tongue 

And to the earlier Question no I cannot get enough of the Cape - more to the point the telly track, spent 7 nights on it this trip want to do 2 weeks next trip - whenever that ends up being..

Oh Darryl, Narelle managed to catch 4 good sized grunters at Dalhunty 2 on the way up and 2 on the return trip - they were nice except I managed to let one slip back into the water when I was about to kill it so someone missed out on good fish that night Confused 
Will never live that one down!!!!

We have many photo's and stories, a few new friends and little damage to the Troopy including drivers side sill damage from a stick or pipe or something!! never did see what hit me! also managed to lose a camera battery and my prized 9 foot long SS whip somewhere between Hann Crossing and Mareeba - not happy about that either but Confused 

Looking forward to getting home but also wishing we had several more weeks or months to see more of the area but reality eventually catches up.

See you in a few weeks..
11-09-2015, 06:33 PM,
I have so many questions, but will leave it at two.  Where on the Dulhunty did you camp and where which side of the waterfall did Narelle catch the fish?

Hopefully the weather is good at Paronella and enjoy that steak at the pub!!!
18-09-2015, 10:36 PM,
LOL we camped in almost the same spot as I did last year, first catch was off to the side of the falls, 2nd time down close to the log you stood on

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk
18-09-2015, 10:38 PM,
BTW home now

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2015 Easter 3-6 April Kroombit Tops NP trip near Monto sirlezz 4 17,119 22-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: sirlezz
4WD Drive 13th - 18th November Beach Trip troopiepete 3 13,295 06-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Last Post: troopiepete
  Peter's Going Camping tonight!! troopiepete 2 11,118 17-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Last Post: sirlezz
  Peter & ED on Fraser July 2013 troopiepete 2 11,391 06-08-2013, 11:43 PM
  Day Trip to Janowen hekarewe 21 54,454 23-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Last Post: G&D
  Cape Barrow - Adventure of a Lifetime daggy 2 11,647 11-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Last Post: ross and cher
  Peter & Narelle on Fraser - October 2012 troopiepete 0 6,445 27-11-2012, 10:04 PM
  Not a club trip Weatherman 14 38,863 15-10-2012, 08:08 PM
  non club trip to teewah fishing trip hekarewe 0 6,195 11-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Last Post: hekarewe