Corners of Queensland
10-01-2017, 11:09 AM,
Corners of Queensland
Morning All,

This is a question for the experts.

I am planning a trip to Western Queensland in two vehicles. The first is a Navara D22 decked out for 4WD, with A/T tyres, winch, snap straps and recovery gear, etc.

The second is still undecided. Currently, I drive a Hyundai Santa FE Diesel. It is a good AWD large SUV. So far, it does all I need.

The question is this: Will it go to the 'Corners', particularly if there is a 4WD capable vehicle in company?

I would rather not hire, and purchasing a second 4WD is not an option at present. If my current car is do-able, I would be very happy.

However, I don't want to be the dude on the news getting rescued because of poor planning or stupidity.

Any guidance out there?
10-01-2017, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017, 11:40 AM by Doc.)
RE: Corners of Queensland
If you're talking about Cameron corner (and surrounds) in a simple answer, Yes, your vehicle will do it as long as you adhere to several "rules".

1. Tyre pressures, especially on dirt roads. (a good set of "LT" tyres would be a minimum)
2. Either a second spare or a decent tyre plug kit.
3. Stick to fairly well maintained roads. Little used side tracks might get you into trouble, but with another vehicle to "scout" for you might be OK.
4. Rated recovery points as rule (in case you do need to be recovered).
5. if there has been rain (or looks like rain)....me personally I would reconsider.
6. Take your time.
7. Plan! (and also plan for a worst case scenario).

I've travelled extensively in remote areas and you'll be surprised what vehicles I've seen in some ridiculous places and without proper planning. A classic example was a Porsche Cayenne on the Great Central Road...........complete with 20" low profile highway tyres............and a puncture............and a space saver..........he ended up getting a tilt tray all the way back to Kal.  almost 700km return for the tilt. Hate to think what that cost (let alone his 20" tyre).
10-01-2017, 07:27 PM,
Hello Benjam

Up until last December I was the proud owner of a Nissan D22 Navara twin cab

It took me across the Simpson twice (east-west & west-east) and a squirt out to poppoels

Once you get into that country two things happen you either hate it or love it I am the latter

So do your research and planning and a lot of thinking and talking to others you will have a memorable trip

Johnny
River City 4x4 club member
15-01-2017, 08:45 PM,
Corners of Queensland
Thanks Guys,

We agree that the D22 will be good.

It is the Hyundai Santa Fe of which I am unsure.

I will probably end up hiring a 4WD.

Cheers,

Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
19-01-2017, 10:00 AM,
(15-01-2017, 08:45 PM)Benjam Wrote: Thanks Guys,

We agree that the D22 will be good.

It is the Hyundai Santa Fe of which I am unsure.

I will probably end up hiring a 4WD.

Cheers,

Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Ben

The Hyundai Santa Fe is a bit of an unknown to me - has it got ground clearance, low range and tyres that can be lowered in pressure to give you better traction in sand?
The three corners are a mixture of road conditions as follows:-

Cameron Corner - easy dirt driving no real sand involved - don't forget to visit Innaminka and the Dig tree.
Haddon Corner - quite rutted dirt road leading in then one big sand dune that may require letting tyres down depending on current condition.
Poeppel Corner - Many soft sand dunes and salt pan crossings - can be very soft or muddy 

Poeppel corner is best to plan it as a 3 day trip - it's not that far but you are entering the Simpson desert so will need a sand flag, UHF on CH10 and the tracks are rough so 20km/h is average, coming from Birdsville is possibly the worst you will do as the sand dunes are steeper on the Eastern side and you are defiantly encouraged to no take trailers of any kind on this part of the trip.

Things to remember are any desert travel has it's risks and while you can carry spares total vehicle weight is a huge factor as to how much damage you will do - if any.
You should carry enough water and food to last you several days to a week and sun shelter is worth many times the cost of a good awning.. Days are hot nights you can get ice on the ground! 

I am currently looking at planning a similar trip but have not set dates or itinerary at this stage but it may include a complete west to east Simpson Desert crossing that will include the need to purchase a South Australia Deserts Pass at $170 - just so we can do the SA section of the desert.. I will post up details if and when this is taken to the actual planned stage.
24-04-2017, 03:31 PM,
Hi Ben

Just wondering how you went with this trip?

Have you done it yet - or is it still in the planning?
I am running a trip in July - https://www.rivercity4wdclub.net/showthread.php?tid=704

If you are interested in more information please send me a PM.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Rally of QUeensland IROQ onall4 3 8,137 24-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Last Post: troopiepete